Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Dear Friends.

Mariza Costa-Cabral, Michael Lofting and I (the "committee") are starting a theme and variations for any of the members who would like to participate. (Credits go to Gregorio X who first came up with this idea in an earlier such project.)

The theme is from J.S. Bach's cantata "wachet auf".

[PDF score]

[mp3 sample of theme]

We will be knitting these variations together and will post the result here. Members can submit as many variations as they please but there are some rules to help us with the knitting.

1. Variations should end back in Eb preferably on the dominant so that the next variation can be added.

2. Piano must be part of the ensemble in addition to any other "common" instruments.
These are piccolo, flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, timpani, cymbals, triangle, tuba, violin, viola, 'cello and double bass.

3. Variation length should be in keeping with the original's.

4. The committee have the right not to accept an entry (sad as it would be to reject someone's).

5. As we are to stitch these together, we need to have at least a score pdf in common notation, better would be xml or midi. Pdf score to be non-transposed to help with the knitting.

6. Entries to be in by December 13th 5:00pm US EST. But the sooner we get them the sooner we can get to work. Edit: Entries should be submitted by posting them as replies to this discussion. private message to Michael, Mariza, or myself (if you are not yet a Friend of one of us on this forum, please send a Friend request to one of us, and we will add you). Alternatively, entries can be submitted via email (email address to be announced).

We will endeavour to be flexible but participants who break these rules may be subject to rule 4.

We want this to be a joyous thing, showcasing the talented, creative bunch that we are.

Off you go!

EDIT: Per request by the "committee", discussion has been closed. It will be reopened after we have further updates about the video Bob is making.

Views: 4820

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Fredrick and Mariza for your kind remarks!

And what a varied collection so far!

Fredrick, I enjoyed how your variation seemed abstract and yet tangible at the same time..Very interesting!

Mr. Driscoll, i felt you captured it's essence with 'chimes'… A spacious minimalism of sorts..  Very evocative.  For some reason reminded me of Mondrian's 'tree'… 

Michael Lofting, I found your variation quite pleasant… with a touch of the 'french' ?…  (i was hearing a bit of Lully, and Poulenc)..Very elegant!

Bob-- Yours is quite the romp!  Totally fun… Impossible to hear without grinning!   Thank you for that!

Thank you all so much for your contributions!

Cheers!

Gregorio. Your variations are great to listen to.

Funnily enough. Your second variation, I was thinking Michel Legrand singing something sad. In French of course.

gregorio X said:

Michael Lofting, I found your variation quite pleasant… with a touch of the 'french' ?…  (i was hearing a bit of Lully, and Poulenc)..Very elegant!

So far there has been quite an eclectic group of submissions and

interpretations of this piece and some very imaginative variations.

This is what I came up with; 

Attachments:

"Wachet Auf Kline Susi" HaHa.

Don't forget we need scores in PDF or better still XML/MIDI.

Added; PDF and Finale/midi

roger stancill said:

Attachments:

Hello Roger,

Do you mind uploading the mp3 file?

For example, right now I am not able to import the xml into software in this particular computer I'm using.

Thank you!

roger stancill said:

Added; PDF and Finale/midi

roger stancill said:

MCC, it was previously posted... 1 pg. back  mid way down    RS

Very good and substantial Fred, giving some dimensions to the original that one could not think they may be there and taking its developments to really forgotten but existing realms.

(I don't participate as a contributor to this thread but I enjoy listening to all pieces so far).

I really liked your variation a lot, Roger.  The relationship to the original is more obvious than in most of the other variations posted, yet sufficiently different in tone, development, and general feeling.  Some of the details were very enjoyable and creative.

roger stancill said:

Thank ya ma'am, that means a lot to me.

I thought that was the whole idea.  RS

Mariza Costa-Cabral said:

I really liked your variation a lot, Roger.  The relationship to the original is more obvious than in most of the other variations posted, yet sufficiently different in tone, development, and general feeling.  Some of the details were very enjoyable and creative.

roger stancill said:

Bob, what was that, at this end it came across as a Druid war chant   :<&

Bob Porter said:

Roger,

I wanted to do something special with your variation, but I think your xml is corrupl. It went terribly wrong.

Sorry, man.

I don't know if this will be any different but, here it is.....

Attachments:

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service