Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Dear Friends.

Mariza Costa-Cabral, Michael Lofting and I (the "committee") are starting a theme and variations for any of the members who would like to participate. (Credits go to Gregorio X who first came up with this idea in an earlier such project.)

The theme is from J.S. Bach's cantata "wachet auf".

[PDF score]

[mp3 sample of theme]

We will be knitting these variations together and will post the result here. Members can submit as many variations as they please but there are some rules to help us with the knitting.

1. Variations should end back in Eb preferably on the dominant so that the next variation can be added.

2. Piano must be part of the ensemble in addition to any other "common" instruments.
These are piccolo, flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, timpani, cymbals, triangle, tuba, violin, viola, 'cello and double bass.

3. Variation length should be in keeping with the original's.

4. The committee have the right not to accept an entry (sad as it would be to reject someone's).

5. As we are to stitch these together, we need to have at least a score pdf in common notation, better would be xml or midi. Pdf score to be non-transposed to help with the knitting.

6. Entries to be in by December 13th 5:00pm US EST. But the sooner we get them the sooner we can get to work. Edit: Entries should be submitted by posting them as replies to this discussion. private message to Michael, Mariza, or myself (if you are not yet a Friend of one of us on this forum, please send a Friend request to one of us, and we will add you). Alternatively, entries can be submitted via email (email address to be announced).

We will endeavour to be flexible but participants who break these rules may be subject to rule 4.

We want this to be a joyous thing, showcasing the talented, creative bunch that we are.

Off you go!

EDIT: Per request by the "committee", discussion has been closed. It will be reopened after we have further updates about the video Bob is making.

Views: 4820

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I liked this, Michael, especially the Gb major.  The use of Eb major mostly in 2nd inversion also nicely keeps the tension up to the end.  

Even with the leaping cello line, the parallel motion Bb-Ab modulation between measures 8 and 9 doesn't seem to my ears consistent with most of the voice-leading expectations you set up before and after it.  Maybe consider Ab in first inversion there, with the Bb in the bass moving up to C?  V-IV6 is not technically a deceptive cadence, but a lovely progression for the back pocket...

Oh Dear.

It was supposed not to.

Fredrick zinos said:

Michael, sounds a little like Richard Rogers "no other love have I" Or the theme from Victory at Sea

Fredrick,

I don't know enough to comment on your variation, nor am I clever enough to discern how it relates to the original, but I really enjoyed listening to it. It is simply a lovely piece. I love the groups of 3 on the left hand (I don't know how they're called in English, sorry). The add to the lighteness of the piece.

JD

You were right about Bb to C.

A variation to the variation will ensue.

DriscollMusick said:

I liked this, Michael, especially the Gb major.  The use of Eb major mostly in 2nd inversion also nicely keeps the tension up to the end.  

Even with the leaping cello line, the parallel motion Bb-Ab modulation between measures 8 and 9 doesn't seem to my ears consistent with most of the voice-leading expectations you set up before and after it.  Maybe consider Ab in first inversion there, with the Bb in the bass moving up to C?  V-IV6 is not technically a deceptive cadence, but a lovely progression for the back pocket...

Och, I see it now! If I turn the page upside down I can see it clearly. How interesting! And it works. But I feel the disappointment because I had imagined you coming up with those delicate and subtle melodic lines. Not to worry, though, I'm still fascinated, just in a different way. And the triplets are wonderful.

Fredrick zinos said:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. The three note groupings in the left hand are call "triplets". The melody in the right hand...well... are you sitting down?

The right hand in the variation is the same as the right hand in the original, but upside down and backward. An "inverted retrograde" (for you home gamers).

Mariza Costa-Cabral said:

Fredrick,

I don't know enough to comment on your variation, nor am I clever enough to discern how it relates to the original, but I really enjoyed listening to it. It is simply a lovely piece. I love the groups of 3 on the left hand (I don't know how they're called in English, sorry). The add to the lighteness of the piece.

Fredrick,

You wrote:

I tell you a secret. Composing music is not about inspiration, its about manipulation.

Notice please that in the inverted retrograde position, Bach's theme appears in one place, unaltered, which means that he included the same IR device at that point in the composition.

later today or tomorrow I will send you the ultimate in use of this device, by Rachmaninov.  And an example that you already know in Brahms, but maybe didn't know it was an inversion.

Isn't it that some music by some composers may be mostly about manipulation, while in other cases it's about various other things, including sometimes inspiration.

The discussion might be worth starting a new thread, if it's going to be substantial, so as not to flood this thread.

Mariza

As far as turning pages upside down goes, look at this nice duet (prob. by Mozart), and print out two copies if you want to try it with a friend. Don’t restrict choice to two violins, works for any instrument.

Attachments:

Second go.

And two for the price of one I think.

Attachments:

Hey Bob, I love it         ...... roll over Beethoven  not

rock and roll over Mr. Bach :>{}      RS
 ps- this sound I think, actually has a future
Bob Porter said:

Dang, I forgot the piano.

now that IS funny......  hoot hoot ha ha

Fredrick zinos said:

Bob, Great and fun take on this tune. But it got me into trouble around here. I just played it and my wife came into my office and said "why can't YOU write something like that?"

I explained to her for the 40000 time that I have no talent and no ambition, to which she responded, "well get some."

Bob,

I wish that was mine.

Congratulations.  I sooooooo enjoyed it!

Mariza

Bob Porter said:

Dang, I forgot the piano.

Thank you, Gregorio, for your contribution.

Your piece very much has your unique signature and is a pleasure to listen to.

gregorio X said:

I want to thank HS,  Mariza and Michael for starting this thread!  

Here is my contribution.. There are 2 connected variations… 

I will post the score - (if it is requested) - But,  it is by hand, but is is neat (mostly).. my apologies.

I haven't listened to any of the variations posted yet,  for fear that it might affect what i was attempting to hear  :)

I look forward to listening!

gregorio 

https://soundcloud.com/gregoriox88/wachet-auf-paraphrase-tk1

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service