Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Thought I would share my most recent composition.  Its a representation of matrixing, only the audio variety.  This imaginary "music" was "heard" in the noise of a fan when there really wasn't any music there. I often get inspiration from noise.  I've chosen to present this one the way I heard it.  (Typically, I edit out the noise.)  Its a bit of an odd piece.

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It just occurred to me that people might not know what matrixing means and without which this music won't make much sense. Here's a link on the topic.

http://cpsparanormal.com/matrixing.htm

I didn't know about matrixing, thanks for explaining that. You have used it to write a form of program music, music which describes something besides music? There's a long history of that and this is an interesting example.

I think this works well; my only suggestion would be about the use of the bassoon. I understand you need a drone sound, and a real bassoon player would find a place to take a breath I'm sure, but I think musically you need something to give the drone some phrasing. There could be some dynamics and timbre alterations, maybe even some small intonation changes that would be subtle but musical. A real fan might drone consistently but often times worn mechanisms will vibrate in and out of phase with an interesting effect. Just a thought.

Good work!

Thanks for listening and commenting, Ingo.  I was actually torn as to whether or not the "fan" part should have more depth or if it should even be played by a different instrument or two.  It would be fun to figure out how to emulate a real fan sound with instruments though.  But I wonder, would that in itself be considered music if it's played by instruments?

I enjoyed this very very much...the drone and the tonal music that peek out of it combine to form a very interesting and original piece of music...not tonal, not drone noise, but its own soundworld....

and the explanation about "matrixing" really helped....

Very well done and Id really like to hear some more works of yours using this same technique..EXCELLENT job and thanks for posting!!

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Thank you for your kind words, Bob.  I'm glad you liked it.  I was worried that the idea was more potent than the experience.

The idea of it being a 'soundworld' is an apt description and far better than my merely deeming it as an odd piece, so thank you for providing the term.

That's it, two instruments in low range slightly out of tune and "phasing' each other, that's a noisy old fan for sure!

Em Coston said:

I was actually torn as to whether or not the "fan" part should have more depth or if it should even be played by a different instrument or two. 

Youre very welcome Em..very nice to see you posting here again! :)

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Em Coston said:

Thank you for your kind words, Bob.  I'm glad you liked it.  I was worried that the idea was more potent than the experience.

The idea of it being a 'soundworld' is an apt description and far better than my merely deeming it as an odd piece, so thank you for providing the term.

Funny what pulls you into a sound, isn't it?

I was listening to Cantus Arcticus by Rautavaara this afternoon and found myself lost in the blend of music and recorded birdsong/sounds. If you have the connections, this could make a really interesting live performance. I've been writing so much traditional orchestral stuff recently, I regularly seek out something which is the polar opposite (no pun intended) of what I'm working on.

Keep up the good work. I'd like to hear more and will come looking for it.

Ingo,  I think you might be right and it could be decorated with a rattling noise.

Hi Graeme.  Thanks for listening, I'm glad you liked it.  Ever since I watched Cage's performance of Water Walk, I've been exploring the 'fabric' of music which I think is the concept of timing (not time signature, tempo or meter but rather point of occurrence). 

Also, Its ironic you mention Cantus Arcticus as I've been considering writing something using bird songs.  I've recently stumbled across an interesting resource Field Book of Wild Birds and Their Music and am absolutely fascinated with it.  I wish I knew a few wind players to play the songs as I'm very curious as to how they would sound on wind instruments. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service