Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Yes, fugue fever continues. :-P  I hereby apologize to anyone who might be allergic to, have a phobia of, or otherwise dislike or disdain fugues.  But since there is so much brouhaha around here about music, I thought I should counterbalance things by actually writing some music. ;-)

The subject of this fugue, as its title says, is taken from Erwin's first piece for harpsichord.  It has a modal flavor to it, so I decided to write a modal fugue... except that in the course of writing it deformed into something else which is a mixture of modal and more modern harmonies, so I don't even know what to call it anymore.  Y'all tell me. :-P

Views: 114

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, nice! I like what you have done to this. Clearly the theme and nice variatoins. :) Tnx.

Very good HS. and Erwin

I'm not so sure about the C maj answer at the start though, it feels a little incongruous to my ears. I would have preferred something in G minor  with a flats to give it the phrygian twist...hey a new dance. Like the rest of it though.

@Mike: I took the C maj answer mainly because I was trying to imitate what Erwin did in his harpsichord piece, except with a fugal twist. :-P  He had the theme in Dm / D phrygian, then C maj, then Dm / D phrygian, so I followed the same sequence.

But I suppose if I wanted a more convincing fugue I should have taken just the theme, and used a key scheme more typical of fugues.

What do you think of later episodes on the 2nd page?  I kinda felt it was a bit too static, basically hovering around D phrygian, whereas the earlier episodes had more adventurous modulations.  I was kinda running out of steam by the 2nd page so I didn't do more interesting things there.

And I'm also unsure about the ending sequence of chords... I had basically run out of ideas by then, and that was the best I could come up with, to try to wrap things up in a way that alluded to the phrygian mode sound, albeit with some more modern chords.

H.S.

Not being a fugue meister, my expertise is limited.  I liked the entire piece but thought you lost the form of the fugue around about m 40. Put it away for a few weeks and the ending will come to you. If not go through some Bach scores. You can't go wrong there.

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and leave a comment.  It's interesting that you find m.40 to be less fugue-like, when in fact it's the start of another entry of the subject in the middle voice.  I was expecting m.50 or so would be less fugue-like because of the block chords. Or did you mean m.50 rather than m.40?

In any case, it's probably good advice to leave the piece for some time and revisit it later.  Nothing like a fresh set of ears to "hear" where the music ought to have gone. Thanks!

Repeating the same material in the subject isn't usually good practice. Perhaps just use the last phrase as the subject and omit the repetition, or make use of the sequences in the original instead of straight-out repetition?

@Tom: you may have a good point there.  Perhaps that's about where things started getting a little too static, with the middle voice stating the subject again in the same key.  When (or if) I get around to reworking this fugue again, I'll consider putting this entry in a different key, just to shake things up a little more in the 2nd half of the fugue, which to my ears is a bit too static.

For now, though, I think I'll just leave it in the "lessons for the future" bin.  Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service