Fugue No. 6

Thanks for listening.

Minseo Park

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bob,

The followings are my comments to your comments:

"What caught me by surprise was the momentary shift to major around the :30 mark."

Yes, I  changed the mode (minor to major or major to minor) to surprise the listener.

"There are many places ( like 1:19 or so) where the voices played the same rhythm. For me, momentum stalled at those points."

You are absolutely right.  In those places, I sacrificed the rhythmic contrast.  Instead, I focused on the "symmetry" of the melodies between the voices by putting an inverted melody in the other voice.

"Your cello patch kind of irritated me the way it swelled on every long note."

I used that patch on purpose since I personally like the "swelling?" type of articulation. I am sorry if you do not like that patch.

Anyway, these are my humble comments to your comments.  I hope I am using the right language.  I really appreciate your valuable comments and thank you very much for listening!!!

Cheers,

Minseo

Very nice! I liked it, especially at the end where the augmented theme in the lower voice is skillfully woven into a nice conclusion.

Unfortunately, not being a fugue expert myself, I can't give you more specific feedback.

Do you have a score for this? I'd like to check that out.

-Rich

There are only some points where the syncopation seems a little awkward but I think that could be tweaked by articulations, especially with strings. Some staccato notes there would make it groove a bit more. That's my only criticism. Other than that, I think it's a very fine fugue. Bravo.

-Rich

Thank you very much for your comments!  Cheers!

H. S. Teoh said:

Very nice! I liked it, especially at the end where the augmented theme in the lower voice is skillfully woven into a nice conclusion.

Unfortunately, not being a fugue expert myself, I can't give you more specific feedback.

I appreciate your comments and thank you very much for listening.  Have a nice weekend!

Susan Partlan said:

I'm not a Fugue expert either but I enjoyed listening to this. I listened again for the key change at :30 and liked it. Very nice piece!

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.  I do not have a score yet, but I will try to make one.  Cheers!

Richard T. Hill said:

There are only some points where the syncopation seems a little awkward but I think that could be tweaked by articulations, especially with strings. Some staccato notes there would make it groove a bit more. That's my only criticism. Other than that, I think it's a very fine fugue. Bravo.

-Rich

At 1:17, you're definitely going full Neo-Baroque. haha. Those dissonances on strong beats are so jarring as I try to listen in with a Baroque ear.

However, this is a very charming piece. It definitely has a cool effect with the intensity you bring to the table with the rising sequential motion in the episodes as well as your interesting use of syncopation in the counter melody.

Connor,

Thank you very much for listening and giving me your comments.  You are absolutely right.  I used many dissonances which may annoy a Baroque ear.  However, I did not intend to make this music sounds specifically Baroqueish.  I know you have a modern ear, too^^.

Cheers,

Minseo

Connor Martin Lidell said:

At 1:17, you're definitely going full Neo-Baroque. haha. Those dissonances on strong beats are so jarring as I try to listen in with a Baroque ear.

However, this is a very charming piece. It definitely has a cool effect with the intensity you bring to the table with the rising sequential motion in the episodes as well as your interesting use of syncopation in the counter melody.

Mix your ears.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service