Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I actually wrote this a good while ago, and have kind of re-birthed it. The rhythms were a bit complicated for me then and I came across this piece in an old music notebook of mine, hand written. It was quite "wrongly" written, so I figured I'd do my due diligence and notate it as correctly as I can (the rhythms are still weird in the one section, and I'm not sure I got it right? Maybe I can get some feedback on that) 

That is me actually playing for a change and not the computer- so the audio is exactly how I want it sound vs the sheet music which may have not gotten some of the rhythms right, It's really fun to play, and not that hard either! 

Flying%20Kites%20Sheet.pdf

Flying Kites audio

Views: 214

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a wonderfully uplifting, joyous, tons o fun piece, that so beautifully expresses and depicts  the choreography of kites dancing across the sky.

You cant help but smile listening to this!

EXCELLENT job David, and thanks so much for sharing :)

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

PS I find this wonderful piece very applicable to another thread here:

http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/music-that-conveys-a-vi...

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Delightful piece David; full of drive and vigor.

Very tonal and non chromatic, which served the mood perfectly.

Keep up the great work.

Hi David,

Nice to see you back here...

I agree, a great little piece, but why the disparity between the score and the recording? The music from b22 cf would sound great as written...

Just one other thing, at b57, the b naturals should really be c flats....yep, still a pedant, but there is a wrong way and a right way...:-) Welcome back.

mikehewer.com

EDIT...by an odd coincidence, I was just thumbing through Tchaikovskys' 4th symphony and lo and behold, at letterA, he also spells the same chord as yours at b57 with a b natural. It does not resolve down mind you and the chord that follows is an E major triad, so I suppose it is not quite the same!...there I go again...

Thanks for listening Mike! 

Could you explain a little more the disparity  you're referring to? In my world, I feel I am playing what is written at bar 22. I had a little trouble notating the rhythm of this section so I fully acknowledge there could be errors, and I'd like to know how to improve them

Mike Hewer said:

Hi David,

I agree, a great little piece, but why the disparity between the score and the recording? The music from b22 cf would sound great as written...

Just one other thing, at b57, the b naturals should really be c flats....yep, still a pedant, but there is a wrong way and a right way...:-) Welcome back.

mikehewer.com

EDIT...by an odd coincidence, I was just thumbing through Tchaikovskys' 4th symphony and lo and behold, at letterA, he also spells the same chord as yours at b57 with a b natural. It does not resolve down mind you and the chord that follows is an E major triad, so I suppose it is not quite the same!...there I go again...

Hi David,

No, not the rhythm, I think you are playing the rh at b22 cf, an octave lower in places, that's all, no big deal really - I just thought it'd be brighter and more uplifting as written, if played with verve.

This is definitely the sort of music that might sell well, have you thought about adding a few more movements. As you already have a descriptive title, why not add a few more movements based on a similar theme (motion, perhaps, or whatever) and turn it into a contemporary, popular piano suite. Its simplicity is quite endearing.

I could easily see a production co. taking this up as score for a documentary. 

mikehewer.com

David Lilly said:

Thanks for listening Mike! 

Could you explain a little more the disparity  you're referring to? In my world, I feel I am playing what is written at bar 22. I had a little trouble notating the rhythm of this section so I fully acknowledge there could be errors, and I'd like to know how to improve them

Mike Hewer said:

Hi David,

mikehewer.com

Really cute and happy :) 

Hehe you gave some ideas :) enjoyed a lot.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service