Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Greetings, I recently joined here and just posted an introduction

For my first post, I'd like to share a new orchestral piece I composed a few months back. I hope you enjoy it.

Please offer any feedback you may have, especially in regards to the "realism" of the sound of the orchestra and instrumentation. I won't share what DAW or sample library I'm using just yet!

Opus #1

Please listen with headphones or decent monitors if possible... Thanks for listening! :-)

Dan-

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Daniel, also read your introduction, very nice to see an artist who is having financial success in this field, congrats on that! I also am a huge fan of Williams, who I think will someday be marked as one of the great film composers of all-time. Your score shows unmistakeable movie and Williams influences and is well-crafted and sounds terrific. What I would have liked to hear is something a bit more in the way of melody. It seems to me that what distinguishes a good tune, especially a good movie tune, is a hook that you can’t get out of your mind, like the theme for Jaws for example. Best to you and thanks for sharing, hope to hear more from you!

Gav

Hi Dan,

from my amateur perspective it is certainly an impressive and professional soundtrack production, as expected from a professional. Feels like the events on the screen passes by rapidly.

Sound quality is high, just at the level for a real movie, I guess, just my amateur impression. 

Drums and percussion are pronounced. I read about your background as a drummer which might be reflected here.

Overall very nice. 

Kjell

Thanks for posting this.

For what it's worth, the melody that you stated within the first 30 seconds and repeated throughout, was not lost on me.

Thank you for the kind words and feedback! It's always so fascinating to me how everyone hears and interprets music so differently. The funny thing about your comment on the "melody" is that it was actually my intention to compose an entire piece based on a simple short melodic line which would then repeat and develop throughout. Variations on a theme if you will. I do admit that my natural tendency is to introduce too many consecutive melodic ideas within a single piece. The result being that those ideas are often not developed to their fullest potential. 

Gav Brown said:

Hi Daniel, also read your introduction, very nice to see an artist who is having financial success in this field, congrats on that! I also am a huge fan of Williams, who I think will someday be marked as one of the great film composers of all-time. Your score shows unmistakeable movie and Williams influences and is well-crafted and sounds terrific. What I would have liked to hear is something a bit more in the way of melody. It seems to me that what distinguishes a good tune, especially a good movie tune, is a hook that you can’t get out of your mind, like the theme for Jaws for example. Best to you and thanks for sharing, hope to hear more from you!

Gav

Hi Daniel, fresh opinions and even disagreements are often helpful in seeing a piece in a new way, I find. I hope we will hear more from you soon!

Gav

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service