Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is the opening track from my latest album, Music for tired Preachers. It’s a suite that has the string quartet and the English horn as a thematic thread. Sometimes together and sometimes with an orchestra.

https://soundcloud.com/lennartostman/english-horn-quintet-andante

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Lennart,

it cloaks itself in a nice, may I say, "baroque", atmosphere. The tension is never lost. Seeing the score would definitely be interesting.

Kind regards,

Jan

Hi Lennart

It is a pleasant enough piece as it stands, but I think the horn is hiding too much in the background. To my mind it should have a stronger melodic presence than it currently has and should "boss" the strings a bit more.

Thanks, Colin.

Thanks Jan-Fredrik and Colin! This is the first piece I’ve written for English horn so I guess I did hold back a little and made all the instruments equal players.

Very soothing. A somewhat unusual showcasing of the English Horn, which typically is presented in more somber modes, but I think it succeeds.

Re: Colin's remark, it may be difficult to judge this in a midi realization. The EH is such a penetrating instrument, and it may be that Lennart has got it right. But again, these are some of the things that a live performance could shed more light on. 

It is also to some extent my personal style to treat every part as equally important. That can be found in all of my music.
And thank you michael for you comments!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service