Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I listened through some of the music dissection posts and read through the introduction and rules posts. You guys all seem to be so good that I'm not sure if I, as a fairly sub-par composer may post here without being laught at, or just being ignored cause my music is horrible.

Is it for anybody who wants feedback to post there?

The introductory thread didn't say much about what minimum level of classical music teaching you need to have to post for musical feedback, or if there is a genre cap. I'm asking this because I write some type of fusion-esq videogame-esq pieces. They might just be to primitive to even bother with at a place like this?

Much love to all of you

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe that if you are serious about writing music you must seek out the opinions of other composers.  We are lucky to have the Internet and sites like this to facilitate this process. 

That said, put up your best effort when you have gone as far with it as you can. That way the comments will be more likely to help you see where to go next. 

You will have to develop some resistance to unhelpful criticism - most folks here want to help and the snark level is pretty low.  But you will have to try to determine what comments make sense and which can be ignored. 

I mostly agree, but would make this observation:  Using my PC I can write, realize and distribute my music world-wide directly to the ears of any listeners -  in a matter of hours.  Those composers writing for acoustic instruments (and of course this is all there has been for most of musical history) have to create, notate, break out and copy parts, find performers, rehearse and - finally - perform.  This process takes a matter of weeks or months.

So I would submit that those of us writing for electronic realization are gaining the benefit of an efficiency that has not been possible in the past.  I can hold a full-time day job and still write as much music as most full-time composers of the past.  I think the advantages of electronic creation and distribution of music will weigh in the natural selection process of how music will be consumed in the future.  The concert hall - like the Globe Theater in London - will not disappear, but it will cease to be the vehicle for forward development in music. 

Fredrick zinos said:

I tend to agree. Just as more computers and word processing capacity doesn't produce any more Shakespears, so too, more DAW's doesn't get us any closer to producing another Bach.

What the electronic jiggery pokery provides is increased convenience for the production and distribuion of whatever is on the author's mind without influencing, for better or worse, the capacity or the clairity of that mind.

Now then, if there were only some downloadable apps for taste and ability.

Of course you should post your music! But I think that you should not ask the forum whether they like it or not,

because this does not say anything about how to improve yourself as a composer.

Instead, make a list of questions of things where you are uncertain ( technical as well as musical issues)

Ask for advice, and start a discussion ( you don´t have to agree with everything ! )

Learning, training learning, making mistakes, learning from your mistakes  is the way to improve. Even the greatest talents of the past have followed this route. 

I think critical reviews are crucial to our development as composers. Critiques can help us to understand what works and what doesn't. Opening ourselves up to criticism can lead to a feeling of vulnerability, humiliation, and embarrassment. One way to make the process more 'gentle' is to form a friendship or two with composers who you appreciate. Pick composers who you admire here at the forum. Find a mentor. Send them an MP3 of your work and then ask them specific questions so they can give you useful feedback. Getting a critique through a friendship is a good way to avoid any kind of public embarrassment. The advantage of posting a piece here in the forum, is that you can get the opinions of many different composers. That variety of musical opinion can be valuable. It's also a way to find like-minded composers with similar sensibilities and possibly more 'valid' criticisms of your work.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service