Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Performing my latest work for piano

Fantasy

Saul

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another accomplished, moody and expressive piece, Saul. Performance to match. Lovely harmonies - translucent, pastel. I particularly liked the way you adjusted the tempo with triplet figures. Also the detail you put into the score, the durations of the notes to control how the harmonies sound. And the lack of dynamic and pedal markings that suggests you should include an instruction at the outset to play expressively. A variation on your style as far as I know it. 

This is one piece I'd love to play except it fires up my imagination, playing it in the huge atrium of a mansion in the half-light with someone standing listening on a stair unseen but her presence felt.

Wonderful. 

Thank you Dane,

I deleted the score because I think that there has to be more work to be done with it. 

Yes, you're right about the lack of dynamics and also the lack of how to play it, because I wanted to leave that to the interpreter. I think the piece can be interpreted in many different ways. 

Many of these compositions of mine are one-sit-down compositions where I just play what I feel at that moment and then translating the midi into score, at times the midi translations are true to the music, at times it does its own thing (in this piece for example) where it adds unintended things, I think it does so in order to adjust the tempi, but that's a liberal use of its place  here without my instruction so the score in some places departs from my original intention and the actual sound.

So what is needed is editing of the score, 

I would describe this piece if I had to compare it to art, as an abstract painting.

Regards and thanks for your comments.

P.S As you have noticed I have refrained from commenting on several of your works and I'll tell you why when I respond to your latest piece of music. 

Hello Saul,

Very well done Saul! Beautifully composed and well executed!
It almost has a Debussy-like mysterious atmosphere. The harmonies are original and well chosen. It makes me feel pleasantly uncomfortable because there is a threat in the air like in a scary movie in a huge atrium of a mansion, half light ….:)

Very well done Saul, thanks for posting!

Thank you Joost, glad you liked it!

Joost Visser said:

Hello Saul,

Very well done Saul! Beautifully composed and well executed!
It almost has a Debussy-like mysterious atmosphere. The harmonies are original and well chosen. It makes me feel pleasantly uncomfortable because there is a threat in the air like in a scary movie in a huge atrium of a mansion, half light ….:)

Very well done Saul, thanks for posting!

I can't find out how to break up a quote here, Saul, without learning HTML so I'll quote the relevant passages.

"Many of these compositions of mine are one-sit-down compositions where I just play what I feel at that moment and then translating the midi into score, "

That was apparent in a previous score I looked at - can't remember now which one. From appearances it seemed extremely unlikely that the work would be composed 'on paper' as presented. It had the feel of improvisation whether free or practised doesn't matter. I know this from my lounge playing where I sometimes learn bits of an improvisation if I can remember enough and why I often record improvising at the piano if I sit to compose anything new or simply just want to play.

It's why you convince me that you're master of your art. Most of your work comes across with an ease that eliminates hints of hard work on a composition. I may be wrong but that's my impression.

= = =

"P.S As you have noticed I have refrained from commenting on several of your works and I'll tell you why when I respond to your latest piece of music."

If you so wish. I'm grateful for any comments here or anywhere, good or bad but whether the absence of comment is significant I'll never find out anyway. 

In the same way you'll notice I don't comment on every one of your pieces. There seems no point commenting on why I'm not commenting.    

Thanks anyway, Saul, and as far your score goes it looked perfectly fine aside from needing a performance instruction above bar 1. Rightly you allow the pianist latitude of interpretation.

Cheers,

Dane.

Hi Dane,

Well I would put my compositions into these following categories:

*Traditional composition - creating a melody building on it, writing each note manually in a score. This reflects my early work which also was the most difficult and hard work in order to achieve the final product.

* Experimenting with improvisations with the emphasis to make it sound as close as possible to a traditional work without entering the score. These impro/work/recordings of my performances reflects my transition from strictly classical and traditional method of work into a more freer way of composing.

* Advanced Experimenting which would mean all the above (second phase) with the addition of adding DAW, more emphasis on recording, midi, sound editing and sound exploration with the addition of translating the music into score through Midi and other sound to score editing softwares.

The third phase as mentioned above may be easier in some aspects than the first and second phases but on the other hand my standards as to what I would call a finished product and a composition have risen and I find myself editing more music and deciding what stays and what hits the bin. So before I publish something I go through a substantial amount of music, and whatever I think I connect with I continue to work on it. So true, a decent amount of music that I publish may be produced as a one time sitting composition, but until I find this one time composition/improvisation, I go through a lot of music which I discard. So in a sense this has its own difficulty.

But of course even with that, not all of my music is composed this way, some works take more time to work on the themes and I find myself going back to phase one the traditional method of composing in order to create the final product. For example, some piano works are built not as spontaneous improvisation and recording but rather as a small theme that is slowly being developed. Also when other instruments than piano are involved more work is required to reach the final product because each instrument has to be played and recorded seperately.

Hope this is clear enough,

Best Wishes,

Saul

Dane Aubrun said:

I can't find out how to break up a quote here, Saul, without learning HTML so I'll quote the relevant passages.

"Many of these compositions of mine are one-sit-down compositions where I just play what I feel at that moment and then translating the midi into score, "

That was apparent in a previous score I looked at - can't remember now which one. From appearances it seemed extremely unlikely that the work would be composed 'on paper' as presented. It had the feel of improvisation whether free or practised doesn't matter. I know this from my lounge playing where I sometimes learn bits of an improvisation if I can remember enough and why I often record improvising at the piano if I sit to compose anything new or simply just want to play.

It's why you convince me that you're master of your art. Most of your work comes across with an ease that eliminates hints of hard work on a composition. I may be wrong but that's my impression.

= = =

"P.S As you have noticed I have refrained from commenting on several of your works and I'll tell you why when I respond to your latest piece of music."

If you so wish. I'm grateful for any comments here or anywhere, good or bad but whether the absence of comment is significant I'll never find out anyway. 

In the same way you'll notice I don't comment on every one of your pieces. There seems no point commenting on why I'm not commenting.    

Thanks anyway, Saul, and as far your score goes it looked perfectly fine aside from needing a performance instruction above bar 1. Rightly you allow the pianist latitude of interpretation.

Cheers,

Dane.

Your composition technique is very interesting Saul, thank you for discussing that.  You do very well with improvisation. The great masters of the past supposedly improvised extensively but it doesn't seem to be emphasized so much any more which is too bad.

So are you able to record either midi or audio from your piano?  What model is it if I might ask?

Nice work!

Hello Saul,

Very nostalgic and oddly sad, it reminded me of the memories of my pet cockatiel before he got lost and didn't find his way back. I could feel that it was really from your soul ,and that's the best a music can ever be... to be from it's composer's soul .Nice ending.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

Best Wishes

8Rivers said:

Hello Saul,

Very nostalgic and oddly sad, it reminded me of the memories of my pet cockatiel before he got lost and didn't find his way back. I could feel that it was really from your soul ,and that's the best a music can ever be... to be from it's composer's soul .Nice ending.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service