Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is a piano version of the second movement of a new piece I'm working on. I like how playing things with just a piano makes all the harmonies and melodies very clear. A very good way of checking your composition I think. You'd need two pianos to actually play this, but I think it's enjoyable anyway. I'm working on a full chamber orchestra score for this. How do you guys review your work? I most often start with strings, review with just piano, and then build woodwinds and brass. I'm aiming at composing more broad and write all voices at the same time in the next piece. I haven't arrived at exactly how yet though.

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Lennart.

I was very interested in listening to your piece to enjoy all the contrapuntal nuances. Much of the counterpoint is very nice and IMO very well chosen.  I also get the point you make about using the piano, in its clarity and simplicity, to check on the internal coherence of your own composition.  But I think that in the case of this piece, one really needs to hear it with the different instruments, because with only the piano (in this case, in my opinion) the depth of the piece is lost.  To state this in a different way, nobody would have composed this with only pianos in mind.  For that reason, I have trouble apprehending the piece properly, so as to provide feedback on the piece as a whole.  But I can say that I very much look forward to hearing it with all the instruments.

Mariza

Hi Lennart, I think this is a solid piece, tho' I think just a bit more

delicate in the first few measures would work better.

Happy Harmonies                          RS

Yes, Marzia. Thanks for your comment. It's supposed to have a full set of instruments. It will be a challenge to orchestrate though, to keep the delicacy. Composing goes fast for me, but orchestrating is a bitch!

Thanks for the input Roger! I haven't thought about that. Maybe start with the woodwinds and bring the strings in a measure later?

Very nicely written, I quite enjoyed the beginning specifically, a very nostalgic and restful sound imo. 

I typically compose on the piano myself but I almost never actually compose the entire song. I'll start with a 15-30 second idea on the piano and then orchestrate everything else when I get to my computer so I definitely understand the struggle! :P Great work though. 

Thanks : ) I rarly compose the whole piece straight through either. Often the main motives and the I fill in the breaks and modulations as I go.

Blake Cherry said:

Very nicely written, I quite enjoyed the beginning specifically, a very nostalgic and restful sound imo. 

I typically compose on the piano myself but I almost never actually compose the entire song. I'll start with a 15-30 second idea on the piano and then orchestrate everything else when I get to my computer so I definitely understand the struggle! :P Great work though. 

This is one of my favourite works of yours. I think it works well on piano as well although the closing of the piece could be more worked on. It isn't quite as convinsing at the end. There are probably a few things along the way as well, since I sometimes react with surprice where no shift of character or line seams intended. But on the whole a very pleasant piece I think, and definitively worth both hearing and working on if you yourself aren't convinced it is at it's very best.

Allt gott Lennart!

David
Thanks David! I agree about the ending and I will change that for the orchestrated version.

David Unger said:
This is one of my favourite works of yours. I think it works well on piano as well although the closing of the piece could be more worked on. It isn't quite as convinsing at the end. There are probably a few things along the way as well, since I sometimes react with surprice where no shift of character or line seams intended. But on the whole a very pleasant piece I think, and definitively worth both hearing and working on if you yourself aren't convinced it is at it's very best.

Allt gott Lennart!

David

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service