Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Dear Friends,

this piece developed after having acquired some impressions from a stay in Andalusia. Guitar in focus here, others are supporting. It is written for two guitar for safety. I play just simple guitar.

Hope you like it

Kjell

https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/expressions-for-guitar

Views: 109

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for your comment Gregorio and the interesting link. Yes, in this case, the orchestra is just supporting which I also find occasionally in Rodrigos work, just a modest and silent support so that the guitar may be heard.

/Kjell

gregorio X said:

Hi Kjell.
A pleasant piece. Though if feel that the orchestration was pretty much a backing pad, except for the percussion. For this reason, I feel that the orchestration should be more integrated as an interest, or to let it be just a guitar duo w percussion.
Just my impression.
Rodrigo (?) - well, he did quite a bit more stuff that just guitar and orchestra... blindness apparently not a hindrance, musically.
Here's a little history should you be interested:
https://www.joaquin-rodrigo.com/index.php/en/biografia/10-autor/bio...

Thank you Ali. Glad you liked it. Yes, the ending repeats the theme four times. I guess I had the Flamenco dancers in mind, an impression I brought from Andalusia.

/Kjell

Ali Riza SARAL said:

Hi Kjell,

Congratulations.  Very pleasant piece.  

Some repetitions could be imbued... Maybe.  I don't know.

The mood is very nice...

Ali

Kjell both of your pieces with guitar are lovely and well done. You are either blending the guitar with the orchestra which is nice but we don't hear the guitar very well or you have the orchestra very quiet behind the guitar which works but doesn't make good use of the orchestra, none of which is a problem, as I said these pieces are very nice.

Rodrigo in his concerto for the most part alternates between guitar and orchestra so that we hear both effectively but separately.  This is a common concerto technique which you might try at some point.

The other option would be to use an electric guitar. There are electric guitar concertos written but I haven't heard any that are memorable; maybe you would consider doing one?

Lovely music, very cheerful and beautiful.

Very nice.  I love the chords.  Sounds very old.  I liked the added instruments at the end.  I got a picture of a guy playing and other people coming to join in his song.  

I'm kind of new to all this.  What is GPO?  I've not experimented with guitar yet.  That's a good sound, though.  

Thank you Ingo for you nice and interesting reflections. I am sort of allergic towards electric instruments, being somewhat conservative, but one never knows. I have heard some nice pieces with synth and the like but I am too ignorant about it myself.

Ingo Lee said:

Kjell both of your pieces with guitar are lovely and well done. You are either blending the guitar with the orchestra which is nice but we don't hear the guitar very well or you have the orchestra very quiet behind the guitar which works but doesn't make good use of the orchestra, none of which is a problem, as I said these pieces are very nice.

Rodrigo in his concerto for the most part alternates between guitar and orchestra so that we hear both effectively but separately.  This is a common concerto technique which you might try at some point.

The other option would be to use an electric guitar. There are electric guitar concertos written but I haven't heard any that are memorable; maybe you would consider doing one?

Hi Douglas,

nice to hear from you. All my music is somewhat old although I try to act post-modern, just letting emotions flow. But I am to influenced by the 19th century...

GPO is the Garritan Personal Orchestra which usually is played with the FInale Notation. As a matter of fact, although I have tried hard, I do not manage to get anything else working with Finale.

Cheers,

Kjell

Douglas Locke said:

Very nice.  I love the chords.  Sounds very old.  I liked the added instruments at the end.  I got a picture of a guy playing and other people coming to join in his song.  

I'm kind of new to all this.  What is GPO?  I've not experimented with guitar yet.  That's a good sound, though.  

Good to hear that. Thank you Saul.

/Kjell

Saul Gefen said:

Lovely music, very cheerful and beautiful.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service