Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Dear Friends,

this piece developed after having acquired some impressions from a stay in Andalusia. Guitar in focus here, others are supporting. It is written for two guitar for safety. I play just simple guitar.

Hope you like it

Kjell

https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/expressions-for-guitar

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is really lovely. Dramatic, powerful and then soft - a wonderful listen. So much going on here with this recording - did you play both guitar parts separately! If so the timing and synergy between the two performances is incredible. A fantastic climax and melodic conclusion to a great piece. You should be very proud! Well done.

It is amazing Tony that we listened to each others piece at the same time and that we gave similar response. I am grateful.

Actually I don't play guitar, just chords and slowly so this is a digital interpretation made by GPO. I write the score in Finale and it is played back by GPO, good enough for my purpose.

Good to hear from you.

Kjell

Tony Lowther said:

This is really lovely. Dramatic, powerful and then soft - a wonderful listen. So much going on here with this recording - did you play both guitar parts separately! If so the timing and synergy between the two performances is incredible. A fantastic climax and melodic conclusion to a great piece. You should be very proud! Well done.
Amazing... really at the same time. This is a great piece of music and so dramatic. I love the arrangement and build. As a guitarist I listened for the nuances... and thought every note was spot on! No matter - a keeper for me.

Hi Kjell,

Very lovely and detailed guitars fo sure! Nice work.

Thanks for sharing,

Jos

Very well done Kjell, you have a great feel for guitar music and we don't hear enough of it on CF so thank you for that. You have nicely used a Spanish influence which is a natural fit for guitar and can easily be a cliche but not here, it is a nice flavor.

Your use of orchestra is interesting, it is very minimal which is pleasant and different but you could easily make a concerto out of this which you could do very well and would be well received I think.

Hello Kjell!

I liked this one a lot. I have no association with Andalusia. This is a pleasant introduction to a song derived from impressions at this place. It's interesting how a vacation can improve our creativity.

I would only say maybe pan the guitars right and left slightly if you have the means to do it. Just a suggestion.

A most pleasant piece to listen to. My only comment is that I felt the guitars overwhelmed the backing instruments somewhat at the end and wondered if they were necessary. The guitar part seemed to provide all the essential notes. 

No matter, a very nice piece.

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated and inspiring.

I have made a few tries making a concerto with guitar. But it is hard, the guitar is soft and often drowned by the orchestra. Panning as you suggest might be a solution but I find it difficult to get it sound natural, since I mostly use headphones I suppose.

Best wishes

Kjell

Hi Kjell,

Congratulations.  Very pleasant piece.  

Some repetitions could be imbued... Maybe.  I don't know.

The mood is very nice...

Ali

HI Kjell, I was wondering if you were familiar with Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez, it is a style you would work well with and is an example of how to write for guitar and orchestra. I didn't want to post a video on your thread without asking first.

Hi Ingo,

yes it is a lovely piece by the Master. I adore it and it formed like a role model for me when composing this tune

https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/contemplation-2-guitar-and-or...

But there are some flaws in my piece concerning the positioning of the guitar sound. I couldn't resolve it really other than increasing its volume making it sound far from perfect.

It seems only the Master is able to compose for guitar and orchestra.

/Kjell

Ingo Lee said:

HI Kjell, I was wondering if you were familiar with Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez, it is a style you would work well with and is an example of how to write for guitar and orchestra. I didn't want to post a video on your thread without asking first.

Hi Kjell.
A pleasant piece. Though if feel that the orchestration was pretty much a backing pad, except for the percussion. For this reason, I feel that the orchestration should be more integrated as an interest, or to let it be just a guitar duo w percussion.
Just my impression.
Rodrigo (?) - well, he did quite a bit more stuff that just guitar and orchestra... blindness apparently not a hindrance, musically.
Here's a little history should you be interested:
https://www.joaquin-rodrigo.com/index.php/en/biografia/10-autor/bio...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service