Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi all,

Back with another wind quintet (to honour Stephen Lines, I won't refer to it as a woodwind quintet!)  The description from my site:  This wind quintet embodies the unbridled energy we feel in a state of euphoria. Wind instruments bubble with excitement. With the state of euphoria also comes a serenity that can be heard in the chorale moments between the firecracker pops bursting from the interweaving counterpoint.

Euphoria by David Carovillano

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Cheers,

Dave

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ingo,

Many thanks for listening and sharing your thoughts.  I always value your feedback and also enjoyed the chance to explore one of your pieces (I still haven't listened to the fugue, but will, I promise!)

You astutely summarized the value of those passages in virtuosic showpieces.  It's true about the excess of technique, often eye-rolling in it's endless number of runs...cadenzas that go on for so long, that the actual substance of the concerto was lost (I actually played once a piece for accordion, entitled "Flashing."  It was literally the extrapolated cadenza from the composer's concerto...and went on for 7 plus minutes)  But, as you mentioned, giving the notes some meaning, in the form of all the other musical elements, can have an enormous impact on a listener.  When it's all said and done, there's a place for it all...dazzling virtuosity can co-exist with poignant lyricism :)

Dave

Ingo Lee said:

Very well done David, I think you have made great use of the wind quintet timbre combination which I know from experience is not easy.  Writing some flowing flute and horn lines should be a no-brainer I thought, but it is not so.

There has certainly been misuse of virtuoso writing.  I can't find the quote but I remember someone in the 19th century complaining about "virtuoso disease".  Piano concertos often ramble on with up and down and up and down the scales etude fashion. But I believe that rapid passages have an important melodic function that you really can't get any other way. It's all about the phrasing and the smooth shapes that well executed rapid passage work can produce. I think your writing here does this, good work!

Thanks for listening and commenting on my fugue David, we're lucky to have accomplished composers like yourself here to help us out.

I wanted to ask, I've been hearing too many accordion jokes lately which is unfair and is the result of ignorance unfortunately.  Can you link us to one of your videos that will help to inform people of what a capable instrument accordion can be?

Hi Ingo,

I very much enjoyed your fugue and have appreciated your enthusiasm/curiosity re. the accordion.

As for accordion jokes, hey, I've heard them my whole life, but that's not a bad thing.  It's actually served the purpose of motivating me to pursue a career with it and explore the instrument outside of the conventional/cliched areas.  All of our "Acclarion" albums are on iTunes, with free previews:  https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/shattered-expectations/1036374560

For lighter stuff that shows the accordion's versatility, you might be surprised by these two videos (an old school Nintendo video game medley we made, and The Simpson's theme on E flat clarinet and accordion):  

Edit: it won't let me post both links, so you can find the Simpsons through the playlist on that same youtube channel below.

Enjoy, and let me know your thoughts!

Dave

Great video David,  I hear the sound of minds being changed already!

David Carovillano said:

Hi Ingo,

I very much enjoyed your fugue and have appreciated your enthusiasm/curiosity re. the accordion.

As for accordion jokes, hey, I've heard them my whole life, but that's not a bad thing.  It's actually served the purpose of motivating me to pursue a career with it and explore the instrument outside of the conventional/cliched areas.  All of our "Acclarion" albums are on iTunes, with free previews:  https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/shattered-expectations/1036374560

For lighter stuff that shows the accordion's versatility, you might be surprised by these two videos (an old school Nintendo video game medley we made, and The Simpson's theme on E flat clarinet and accordion):  

Edit: it won't let me post both links, so you can find the Simpsons through the playlist on that same youtube channel below.

Enjoy, and let me know your thoughts!

Dave

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service