Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello colleagues,

Here are the entries for the Spring 2007 "Emotions" contest. Entrants were asked to write a piece which evokes a single emotion, any instrumentation, duration up to 5 minutes. Voting is by the membership of this site. You may vote here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YC7RPXC. Deadline to vote is May 14, 5pm EST

Views: 1589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I laugh better as a Neanderthal, though the sound is not what you'd expect since my hyoid bone is a little higher than that of cro-magnons

Dave Dexter said:

Nothing wrong with slapstick and low humour, it's not as if Shakespeare was refined and sophisticated at all times. You can enjoy both the high and the low without being either sophisticated or a neanderthal.

Fredrick zinos said:

The essence of expression is what the observer brings. That is why some art appeals to some people and other art appeals to other people. Those with some sophistication find taming of the shrew amusing while their Neanderthal kin chortle with moronic glee when Homer Simpson falls down.

In that case, a car is greater than the sum of its parts. Or a fruit salad. How much greater ultimately depends on the listener, but it seems a pointless thing to say - most music isn't composed to be a string of notes but a single entity, so deconstructing to the simplest steps and saying "the music is greater than these notes strung together" is redundant.

Honestly, I just write music that I would like, and apparently that works. I'm inspired by certain styles and naturally write more or less in those styles so other people who also like those styles might like my style (tM). In terms of communication, it works because of the sum, not the parts. Some composers can't do much with 12 notes and some can do a lot but it's never about the notes. I feel we agree in some way but are approaching the conclusion from different directions.

roger stancill said:

dave, honestly no offense, but I think you miss the point.

Of course you are are not going to reach everyone in the audience.

But isn't your music a form of communication that you hope others

will comprehend and relate to.

In this case here, I was referring to the product being greater than the sum of its parts,

not the idea that it was inspired by an influence over and above a composers 'assumed '

talent and ability. People don't listen to music to hear a string of notes that someone has put together.

Why DO people listen to music, and why do you think they would want to listen to yours?   RS

You done just shut me down with facts.

Fredrick zinos said:

I laugh better as a Neanderthal, though the sound is not what you'd expect since my hyoid bone is a little higher than that of cro-magnons

Forgive me Fred, I guess I just fail to grasp the idea that someone would actually

choose to be blind. All proof is not 'concrete'.

At least from my perspective, I get to enjoy both realms. You, and many others, seem

to think it is question of one or the other...... your loss.    RS

I like music that I like

Well said, Gav.

Roger,

Not sure why you feel the need to insult people.

Some people are willing to follow the Pied Piper... others will say' oh look'

it's the Pied Piper. How is that an insult? i e - the king has no clothes on 

Offering an idea up for a potential discussion is not a declaration of fact, either-

Mr. Sponge-Bob Squarebrain. I'm not quite sure why you see certain things that

I say as insulting Bob. No doubt it has something to do with the configuration of

your ego. Do yourself a favor and just take a bit of time to research the significance

of what the meaning of the 'fringe' that has been attached to the American flag represents

and means. That is not an insult, it is a 'key'. It will open a door that you will not believe , or

most likely, be prepared to accept.

Bob Porter said:

Well said, Gav.

Roger,

It is the most lovely thing in the world, music. No other artform tugs at my heart like it. I love paintings, but have never cried at one. I love sculpture, but have never cried at one. I love books, and sometimes have been greatly affected by them, but have rarely had emotional outbursts while reading. But music tugs at my heart in a way I have no control over. I often cry at the great and surpassing beauty which I feel when listening to great music. It is not thought out, it is not a process, I just react

How are we back to this and what pertinence to the discussion does it actually hold

You know, RS, your points might get considered more if you didn't immediately jump on people who disagree or dismiss them. By doing so, you're just as instantly dismissing the other side of the argument as the person you disparage for dismissing yours, and it gives the lie to you saying "Offering an idea up for a potential discussion is not a declaration of fact." If you really felt you were just blue-skying some interesting ideas that you're not personally invested in, why are you calling people blind for not considering them?

Back around we go I guess . . . this time, with flags

roger stancill said:

Do yourself a favor and just take a bit of time to research the significance

of what the meaning of the 'fringe' that has been attached to the American flag represents

and means. That is not an insult, it is a 'key'. It will open a door that you will not believe , or

most likely, be prepared to accept.

Bob Porter said:

Well said, Gav.

Roger,

I completely agree with you Roger, there are many things you fail to grasp.

roger stancill said:

Forgive me Fred, I guess I just fail to grasp the idea that someone would actually

choose to be blind. All proof is not 'concrete'.

At least from my perspective, I get to enjoy both realms. You, and many others, seem

to think it is question of one or the other...... your loss.    RS

Thanks for voting, and HS: thanks for guessing right. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service