Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello fellow composers! I'm a composer from Ottawa, Ont. I'm 24 and I've just completed a Bachelor of Music degree, which is great, however I didn't really get the training to prepare me for the career I want to pursue, which is in film scoring. I'm here on this forum to ask advice from fellow composers (and especially people working in the field of writing for film/television/advertisements) about where I should go next.

I'm fairly new to creating music electronically. I have limited experience on Cubase, and really want to get into using new software like ProTools 11 to start composing, and really understand the program to make my pieces sound professional. I composed a lot of music during my degree however my school did not have a composition specialization, so I'm feeling pretty behind in the world of composing. I really want to write and have my pieces performed by a live orchestra/ensemble. Being in a composition/film scoring program seems to be the best way to get your pieces performed to gain a portfolio. I'd like to go into a masters of film scoring like at NYU , Berklee, or the UCLA extension program, but I'm worried I won't get the most out of it because of my lack of experience. 

Basically, because I don't feel experienced enough to go into a masters, I'm trying to figure out a way to take some courses in composition and in audio engineering without having to enroll in an entire undergrad program. Either in Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, or elsewhere. Any advice at all would be great, regardless of what city you're in. 

To get an idea of where I'm at as a composer here are some of my original pieces

live performance of my piano quintette piece"Midst"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0VSDetW5_g

Here is a re-scoring I did recently 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPu-pdET-5M

Here is the music I wrote for a play last year 
https://soundcloud.com/lorab/sets/soundtrack-for-the-shape-of-a

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like your music.

Good string writing and contrapuntal lines exploiting successfully the thematic material. It threw me off a bit in the beginning cause the piano part ceased but then it came in quite appropriately and the piece became a true quintet.

The rescoring you did seems to be working fine too for the opening titles of the film, so I cannot see any problem there either.

The soundtrack for "The Shape Of A Girl" I've found both evocative and enjoyable, although I don’t know at all the play for which it was written to appreciate it more.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to advise you about film music or studying for it cause I don’t know much about it myself, but as far as music goes, you write well already, so my only advice would be to  consider perhaps studying formal strait composition further to a post graduate level for giving more challenges to yourself.

Well done, keep up the good work!

I would stay away from Pro Tools. Look at Digital Performer by Motu. I use Sonar but I get the impression that DP may be preferable for classical/film work. Personally I don't care for Cubase, but I know that it is used by many. I would research this heavily, so you buy something you will be happy with, because once you invest the time and effort in learning it, it's a hassle to switch. Which is why I just stay with Sonar, which has the reputation of being more for the hobbyist (which is what I am).

Thanks for your response Michael! Thing is that most of the Masters programs in film scoring seem to be seem to be using ProTools, so that's why I feel it's the next step for me. 

michael diemer said:

I would stay away from Pro Tools. Look at Digital Performer by Motu. I use Sonar but I get the impression that DP may be preferable for classical/film work. Personally I don't care for Cubase, but I know that it is used by many. I would research this heavily, so you buy something you will be happy with, because once you invest the time and effort in learning it, it's a hassle to switch. Which is why I just stay with Sonar, which has the reputation of being more for the hobbyist (which is what I am).

Thanks! Good advice! 

Socrates Arvanitakis said:

I like your music.

Good string writing and contrapuntal lines exploiting successfully the thematic material. It threw me off a bit in the beginning cause the piano part ceased but then it came in quite appropriately and the piece became a true quintet.

The rescoring you did seems to be working fine too for the opening titles of the film, so I cannot see any problem there either.

The soundtrack for "The Shape Of A Girl" I've found both evocative and enjoyable, although I don’t know at all the play for which it was written to appreciate it more.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to advise you about film music or studying for it cause I don’t know much about it myself, but as far as music goes, you write well already, so my only advice would be to  consider perhaps studying formal strait composition further to a post graduate level for giving more challenges to yourself.

Well done, keep up the good work!

Selecting a DAW, is both a matter of the easy of use you have with it and the content you are working with in it. I'm not sure now, but by what I've heard and seen, Protools is usually best when you have prerecorded material (ie: real orchestra, real players), but if what you want is to do midi orchestration I would recommend to use Cubase or Digital performer (they have better controls for midi data and better support for VSTs), and although I can´t fully comment about it, cause I haven't used it, Logic also seems to have nice controls for midi data, at least it seemed that way by what I saw in some videos. Anyways, whenever you have to choose a DAW make sure to research said DAW's strengths and weaknesses, cause each is usually best suited for some job or another. If you have the resources, another option is to have more than one, and use one or another depending on your needs. Anyways, don't just stick to a DAW because it's popular, make sure it's the right DAW for what you are trying to achieve.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service