Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi,

This is my latest work.

Best Wishes,

Saul

Elves Passing Through The Forest

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good day, Saul,

I followed through from the first version you posted and while this is different, the mood is still the same. I also spotted your earlier note on this particular post.

Another example of your mastery - and long enough this time to just drift with it. Beautifully calm with a certain solemnity.

Pleasing that you kept the rubato which so amplifies the atmosphere. The higher piano figure at 2'25" brought just a little more drive that offset the calmer moments. 

My late response is because I listened to it several times, I must admit awed by the delicate scoring. Each iteration was complete in its own right but different. 

A most pleasant piece.

Bests,

Dane.

Wow Dane, Thank you for your wonderful and thoughtful comments!

I don't know if you remember but in the first version I had a percussion like a deep Timpani sound. This latest version does not include it, where do you stand about this? 

I thought that if the timpani doesnt really enhance the piece and the piece can be good without it, then maybe it shouldn't be there, but then this is a matter of opinion. What do you think?

Thanks

Dane Aubrun said:

Good day, Saul,

I followed through from the first version you posted and while this is different, the mood is still the same. I also spotted your earlier note on this particular post.

Another example of your mastery - and long enough this time to just drift with it. Beautifully calm with a certain solemnity.

Pleasing that you kept the rubato which so amplifies the atmosphere. The higher piano figure at 2'25" brought just a little more drive that offset the calmer moments. 

My late response is because I listened to it several times, I must admit awed by the delicate scoring. Each iteration was complete in its own right but different. 

A most pleasant piece.

Bests,

Dane.

Yes, I do remember. It started so quietly I thought it could have been interference but on the second stroke it was clearly intended. I was perfectly happy with it almost as if it marked passages of time in the long trek through the forest.

Thankfully I have some exceptional Beyerdynamic headphones that can reproduce such deep frequencies.. 

As I said, different but the atmosphere was overall the same.

Saul Gefen said:

Wow Dane, Thank you for your wonderful and thoughtful comments!

I don't know if you remember but in the first version I had a percussion like a deep Timpani sound. This latest version does not include it, where do you stand about this? 

I thought that if the timpani doesnt really enhance the piece and the piece can be good without it, then maybe it shouldn't be there, but then this is a matter of opinion. What do you think?

Thanks

Dane Aubrun said:

Good day, Saul,

I followed through from the first version you posted and while this is different, the mood is still the same. I also spotted your earlier note on this particular post.

Another example of your mastery - and long enough this time to just drift with it. Beautifully calm with a certain solemnity.

Pleasing that you kept the rubato which so amplifies the atmosphere. The higher piano figure at 2'25" brought just a little more drive that offset the calmer moments. 

My late response is because I listened to it several times, I must admit awed by the delicate scoring. Each iteration was complete in its own right but different. 

A most pleasant piece.

Bests,

Dane.

Thanks Dane,

I created another version with the Timpani and I also slightly lowered the volume on the piano and harp, they play in unison.

I still do not know which is the better version with the timpani or not...

What do you think?

Dane Aubrun said:

Yes, I do remember. It started so quietly I thought it could have been interference but on the second stroke it was clearly intended. I was perfectly happy with it almost as if it marked passages of time in the long trek through the forest.

Thankfully I have some exceptional Beyerdynamic headphones that can reproduce such deep frequencies.. 

As I said, different but the atmosphere was overall the same.

Saul Gefen said:

Wow Dane, Thank you for your wonderful and thoughtful comments!

I don't know if you remember but in the first version I had a percussion like a deep Timpani sound. This latest version does not include it, where do you stand about this? 

I thought that if the timpani doesnt really enhance the piece and the piece can be good without it, then maybe it shouldn't be there, but then this is a matter of opinion. What do you think?

Thanks

Dane Aubrun said:

Good day, Saul,

I followed through from the first version you posted and while this is different, the mood is still the same. I also spotted your earlier note on this particular post.

Another example of your mastery - and long enough this time to just drift with it. Beautifully calm with a certain solemnity.

Pleasing that you kept the rubato which so amplifies the atmosphere. The higher piano figure at 2'25" brought just a little more drive that offset the calmer moments. 

My late response is because I listened to it several times, I must admit awed by the delicate scoring. Each iteration was complete in its own right but different. 

A most pleasant piece.

Bests,

Dane.

Good Job , I would classify this as soundtrack and would love to hear it in a fantasy game where I explore elven lands and see elves walking in forests . It was mysterious and calming. Good luck

Thank you!

8Rivers said:

Good Job , I would classify this as soundtrack and would love to hear it in a fantasy game where I explore elven lands and see elves walking in forests . It was mysterious and calming. Good luck

At the risk of becoming repetitive...I always enjoy your songs.  They always have a great feel to them, always magical.  Thanks for posting!

Thank You Douglas for your kind words!

Douglas Locke said:

At the risk of becoming repetitive...I always enjoy your songs.  They always have a great feel to them, always magical.  Thanks for posting!

Much progress has been made here since the last posting of it! This would work great as a backing to motion picture in smaller doses. The mixing of sounds is well done. 

I hesitate to mention this because it's a personal thing for me. After awhile the two note piano flutters begin to feel as if they need a change of some kind, though you work well within this idea by changing the notes and keeping the timing. As one idea you could optionally add more piano parts over  similar backdrops in similar future works. If I were taking an afternoon nap this one would probably have put me off to sleep after 10 minutes since it  keeps the same general dynamic range and instruments. I am feeling that this was probably your intent to make something ethereal and relaxing. It is all of those!

Nicely done Saul. 

Thanks though I'm not sure what you mean with "After awhile the two note piano flutters begin to feel as if they need a change of some kind"...

Regards
Timothy Smith said:

Much progress has been made here since the last posting of it! This would work great as a backing to motion picture in smaller doses. The mixing of sounds is well done. 

I hesitate to mention this because it's a personal thing for me. After awhile the two note piano flutters begin to feel as if they need a change of some kind, though you work well within this idea by changing the notes and keeping the timing. As one idea you could optionally add more piano parts over  similar backdrops in similar future works. If I were taking an afternoon nap this one would probably have put me off to sleep after 10 minutes since it  keeps the same general dynamic range and instruments. I am feeling that this was probably your intent to make something ethereal and relaxing. It is all of those!

Nicely done Saul. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sign up info

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service