Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello to all members,

Voting for the Elements Contest has begun, and you may vote up until the deadline of May 12, 5 pm EST. All the entries for the four elements are below. For each element, there is a separate survey to use to vote.

Vote for Air here

Vote for Earth here

Vote for Fire here

Vote for Water here

Good luck to all the contestants, and please all, do not post anything about entries on this site while the voting is ongoing!

Views: 2781

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

=============
"WATER" COMMENTS - Note: voting in the "Fun Categories" does not count towards the total
=============

01 Emily Singleton "Sketch #4"
[Fun Categories] No Votes
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "I was tempted to vote for composer 01 as first choice, although this is my second preference. I like best composer 05 contribution in this element. The reason for hesitating is that I noticed a B written bellow the bottom C string. But still I like more this composition, so 01 takes second place.")

03 Andrew Thornton "Black Magic Caves"
[Fun Categories] 2 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #3 - "Enjoyable to listen to it.")

04 George Abbott "Cinematic Action Piece"
[Voter Comments] No Comments

05 Mark Grand "Rain"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #1 - "I was tempted to vote for composer 01 as first choice, although this is my second preference. I like best composer 05 contribution in this element. The reason for hesitating is that I noticed a B written bellow the bottom C string. But still I like more this composition, so 01 takes second place. ")

06 Rev Dave Moorman "Water"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most climactic"

07 Canary Burton "Rushing Water w/eddies"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "Nice piece. It does make me think of water, and I enjoyed it very much.")

09 Marc Farmer "Water"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "Very nice")

10 Stephen Lines "Water"
[Fun Categories] 2 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 2 votes for "Most melodious," 3 votes for "Best orchestration," 2 votes for "Most climactic"

11 Stephen Ferre "The Black Pool"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Sounds most like topic," 2 votes for "Best orchestration," 3 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #1 - "Clever passacaglia"), (voted for you for #1 - "I felt that this piece took me somewhere. Could have been horror/suspense scene music."), (voted for you for #2 - "Very atmospheric but unconvincing end.")

14 Emily Bond "High Mountain Stream"
[Fun Categories] 3 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most melodious," 1 vote for "Most climactic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #1 - "Beautiful, does credibly represent water, well orchestrated."), (voted for you for #2 - "Very descriptive"), (voted for you for #1 - "A lot of music within the time frame."), (voted for you for #1 - "Nailed it")

================
NEXT UPDATE WILL BE:
COMMENTS BY VOTERS ON THE "FIRE" CONTEST
================

=============
"FIRE" COMMENTS - Note: voting in the "Fun Categories" does not count towards the total
=============

03 Andrew Thornton "My Fire Dancer Plays Three Pianos"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most melodious," 2 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "The counterpoint of the fire dancer with the piano music is great! I'm not sure I can tell that there are three pianos by listening to it though, and I'm not sure what the drum bit at the end is about."), (voted for you for #3 - "A bit formless but contains good effects.")

[Fun Categories] 2 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most melodious," 1 vote for "Best orchestration," 2 votes for "Most climactic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #1 - "It is a pity the composer misunderstood the contest, thinking that all 4 elements should be represented in a single piece. This is a nice piece of music with good orchestration, which is captivating and exciting. I liked it best among all those submitted to represent the "fire" element."), voted for you for #1 - "I was so tempted to vote for myself. I didn't really like any of the entries for fire. But I give credit for the brass conveying fire by its timbre.")

06 Rev Dave Moorman "Fire"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most climactic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #1 - "Again the most melodic. This one gave me a feel of Lating tango! Which I intepreted as Latin fire. :-) ")

14 Emily Bond "Flame"
[Fun Categories] 5 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most melodious," 1 vote for "Best orchestration," 2 votes for "Most climactic," 1 vote for "Most unusual interpretation of topic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "Well balanced piece and good depiction of flames."), (voted for you for #1 - "I see the element")

15 Sid Delby "Fire"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most unusual interpretation of topic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "Rewarding to listen to, and transmits a sense of tragedy and destruction, hence relating to the element fire.")

19 Joshua Empyre "Fire"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most unusual interpretation of topic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "Really, really love this piece, however I thought it just didn't match Fire."), (voted for you for #1 - "Opening sounds like a Turkish bazaar? 2nd section grows well and I then think 'fire'. Nicely musical.")

================
NEXT UPDATE WILL BE:
COMMENTS BY VOTERS ON THE "EARTH" CONTEST
================

=============
"EARTH" COMMENTS - Note: voting in the "Fun Categories" does not count towards the total
=============

01 Emily Singleton "Sketch #1"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most melodious"

02 Clint Clark "Element Earth"
[Fun Categories] 2 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most melodious, 3 votes for "Best Orchestration," 3 votes for "Most climactic

06 Rev Dave Moorman "Earth"

07 Canary Burton "Friedrica and Canary - Earth"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Sounds most like topic," 2 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #2 - "I like the sound effects and voice overs - tells a good tale.")

10 Stephen Lines "Earth"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Best orchestration," 1 vote for "Most climactic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #1 - "By far the best for this element, I thought, and probably the best out of all elements. ")

12 Nv "The Dance of Gaia"
[Fun Categories] 2 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic"
[Voter Comments] (voted for you for #1 - "Only entry to use intelligent sampling to bring home a theme of crisis. Made me care about earth and want to do something for it."), (voted for you for #1 - "Curate's egg - good in parts but not sure about the connectivity of the second half (drums) with the first.")

14 Emily Bond "Blue-Green World"
[Fun Categories] 2 votes for "Most melodious," 1 vote for "Most climactic"

15 Sid Delby "Earth"
[Fun Categories] 1 vote for "Most melodious," 1 vote for "Best orchestration," 1 vote for "Most unusual interpretation of topic"

================
NEXT UPDATE WILL BE:
THANKS, and OPEN THREAD
================

================
ELEMENTS CONTEST - THANKS, and OPEN THREAD
================

The contest is now ended and the winners announced! Thanks to all who participated and to those who voted and offered comments! I will start contacting the winners next week about your prizes. Entrants, please hold off posting your entries anywhere else on this site until we have had time for any discussion to take place here. I will post an announcement on this thread when you may freely post. This thread is now open for discussion on the contest >

Thanks to everyone involved. I appreciate all comments on my entries, Every composer needs support;many times I have nearly given up composing music altogether. 

[was going to let the winners comment first. But in the absence of that this will be my only comment] 

Thank you [100% self taught from books.] 

I agree--Gav did a GREAT job, and congratulations to all the winners, and to all those who entered. Listening to all the entries, there was a lot of really good music. and all should be very proud.

Great job everyone:)

Thanks Bob

https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Julie Harris said:

On behalf of all our forum members, I want to thank Gav for the incredible work he has done on this competition.  Not only did he put together and manage a very thorough and complex competition, but he worked behind the scenes to create these lovely prizes. 

Gav, you are a treasure.  We are lucky to have you here on this forum.

After seeing the really cool prizes, I wish I had entered!!!  ;-)  Good luck to all who did.

Well done Gav, good topic, excellent admin, cool prizes....much appreciated. Thank you.

Gav Brown said:

================
ELEMENTS CONTEST - THANKS, and OPEN THREAD
================

The contest is now ended and the winners announced! Thanks to all who participated and to those who voted and offered comments! I will start contacting the winners next week about your prizes. Entrants, please hold off posting your entries anywhere else on this site until we have had time for any discussion to take place here. I will post an announcement on this thread when you may freely post. This thread is now open for discussion on the contest >

Thanks Andrew, and please never give up composing! I'm mostly self-taught too!

Thanks Bob, I'm sure the contestants appreciate your good wishes, I know I did!

Thanks Stephen, and also congratulations on your own win!

Congrats to all, especially Emily -the girl done good.

Thank you Mike.  I feel really honored.

Mike Hewer said:

Congrats to all, especially Emily -the girl done good.

This was fun. Ready for round two! Got any 2 minute film trailers we can score? Thanks.

PS Also the Composer Forum mugs are really nice..along with the rest of the prizes very well done!!

Thanks Bob

https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service