Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi

I have just joined the forum.  I am a composer - mainly classical / full orchestral.

Has anyone out there purchased and used EWQLSOPP.

I ahve just purchased it and heck what an installation that was - very difficult and 28 discs to load with a total of 194GB of samples.

I have it fully installed but I am having immediate trouble loading and playing library sound samples.

i am happy to share my issue in depth if anyone out there has the software and is interested to try and help me.

James

Views: 2899

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See how you go with the manual and then drop me a line when you can/are ready. Just don't give into frustration...

Hi James:

I commiserate with your troubles loading EWQL. Not the easiest loading sample library, nor the most user friendly tech. support people, especially for non-geeks.I second Anthony's comments about the importance of learning how to use keyswitching. I use EWQLSO platinum through Sibelius 7. For most of the orchestral instruments I load the KS master instruments (key switch master), which contain most of the articulations, so I have them available. Once loaded I sometimes turn some of the never used articulations off to conserve RAM (I have 6GB). Sibelius has the ability to attach text to notes, so one type of text looks like this: ~N93,1       When I attach this text to a cello note, it plays that note (and all after it) pizzicato. Essentially the text breaks out as follows: the ~ makes the text dim out, so it doesnt print on your score, the N93 refers to the sibelius midi code fo note A5, which is the keyswitch note for cello pizzicato, the ",1" means to turn that note on. So, by using that type of text I can move freely between articulations for instruments loaded with multiple articulations.

Unfortunately, I had to create tables (in excel) that have all the sibelius midi codes next to the keyswitch articulations so that I can refer to them quickly. Though it took some time to create, it saves an immense amount of time while writing. (there are other ways - J.Loving's soundsets allow moving between articulations using Sibelius standard notation). Since I don't use Finale I'm not sure whether it has the same capability.

Also, EWQL platinum can use up memory, especially with 24 bit and having all 3 mic positions loaded for each instrument. That's one of the reasons I went to Sibelius 7, because it's a 64 bit program, capable of accessing more RAM than a 32 bit program can. Not sure if Finale is still 32 bit.

Hope this helps...

Robert Hunter 

Anthony H said:

Hi James.

I came across your post here by chance and thought I'd chime in to offer some help. Unfortunately the EWQL orchestra doesn't a have a muted articulation for the solo trumpets. You'd need to get one of the brass-dedicated libraries for that (or a library from somewhere else). Sample libraries do tend to do this - a muted solo trumpet is not an unusual articulation choice. There is a muted articulation in the 2-trumpet instrument, though.

As far as articulation changes go, it's a very important technique to know if you're using sample libraries, but really quite simple. The method is called keyswitching (not to be confused with any sort of musical key change/modulation!) When you load an instrument into Play all the available articulations are loaded simultaneously, and one of them is audible by default - usually a standard sustained articulation. You change between them by sending a note to the instrument; this note is well outside the playable range of the instrument, for example: 3 octaves below the lowest possible sounding note (or, 3 octaves above it if it is already in a low range.) The most elegant and sensible way to use this system in a sequencer (like Cubase 5 Studio) is to have TWO midi channels running to Play. One contains the musical material, and another contains the keyswitch triggers (if any). Note: it is not necessary to define the articulation for every note played: once you switch articulations, Play will keep to that articulation until you tell it otherwise.

See page 104 of the EWQL Orchestra Manual.

I hope this makes some sense - let me know if it doesn't.

Cheers

Anthony - Back to keyswitching

Ok I have had a look at p104 in the EW Orch Manual - I cannot see anything on that page about keyswitching.  I have had a look at Cubase and EW and I basically dont get the concept of keyswitching - what is it, what does it do, how do you set it up and why??

Jim

Robert Hunter said:

Hi James:

I commiserate with your troubles loading EWQL. Not the easiest loading sample library, nor the most user friendly tech. support people, especially for non-geeks.I second Anthony's comments about the importance of learning how to use keyswitching. I use EWQLSO platinum through Sibelius 7. For most of the orchestral instruments I load the KS master instruments (key switch master), which contain most of the articulations, so I have them available. Once loaded I sometimes turn some of the never used articulations off to conserve RAM (I have 6GB). Sibelius has the ability to attach text to notes, so one type of text looks like this: ~N93,1       When I attach this text to a cello note, it plays that note (and all after it) pizzicato. Essentially the text breaks out as follows: the ~ makes the text dim out, so it doesnt print on your score, the N93 refers to the sibelius midi code fo note A5, which is the keyswitch note for cello pizzicato, the ",1" means to turn that note on. So, by using that type of text I can move freely between articulations for instruments loaded with multiple articulations.

Unfortunately, I had to create tables (in excel) that have all the sibelius midi codes next to the keyswitch articulations so that I can refer to them quickly. Though it took some time to create, it saves an immense amount of time while writing. (there are other ways - J.Loving's soundsets allow moving between articulations using Sibelius standard notation). Since I don't use Finale I'm not sure whether it has the same capability.

Also, EWQL platinum can use up memory, especially with 24 bit and having all 3 mic positions loaded for each instrument. That's one of the reasons I went to Sibelius 7, because it's a 64 bit program, capable of accessing more RAM than a 32 bit program can. Not sure if Finale is still 32 bit.

Hope this helps...

Robert Hunter 

Thanks for your comment Robert.  I use Finale 2011 and Cubase Studio 5.  Yes Finale has KS instruments but I dont have a clue about keyswitching - whether my mind just cant get the concept or I have had not had it explained to me - I just dont understand it at the moment.  Maybe you can help me get it?

All I do for articulations at present is thru Cubase.  If for example I want pizzicato for certain bars of a cello then I make a new instrument channel and assign an EW pizzicato cello to that channel.  same for a muted trumpet.  That works.  I guess I dont really understand how to use keyswitching/articulations.  maybe I am too lazy to learn it.

Jim

Hi Robert - just visited your home page - very impressive.

I have recently submitted my very first composition to Composers Forum - you can see it on my home page.  I was chatting with Kevin Riley who encouraged me to submit it.  Kevin has since withdrawn from CF (I hope not as a result of my composition) so I never had any feedback from him on my work.  It is a Piano Concerto - I have submitted the first 2 movements and currently in the process of submitting the 3rd and final movement (which is completed).  I would like some one to give me some feedback on this work if possible.  Any suggestions?

Hi James:

I just briefly listened to movement 3 of the piano concerto and really enjoyed it. Over the next day or two I'd like to listen to the whole work and will give comments then, but so far I think it's great!

Back to the keyswitch thing: using a keyswitch instrument is like going camping with a Swiss Army knife (you know, those knives with 20 different tools and knives in one device). Sure, you could bring separate knives, corkscrews, magnifying glasses, scissors, but they would take up room. Having the swiss army knife gives you access to lots of tools in one convenient place. Thus, with a keyswitched instrument loaded, I have immediate access to all the articulations without needing to load separate instruments for each articulation.

Now, how to use the keyswitch. If you were to open up an instance of EWQL Play and load the keyswitch cello instrument (for example VCS KS Master), you would see a keyboard at the bottom. Aside from the black and white keys (the playable notes for the range of that instrument) and the tan keys (notes out of range), there are blue shaded keys. These are the keys that act as switches between articulations (thus "key switch"). You'll note, to begin, that key C1 (EWQL calls this C0, by the way) is depressed, meaning that by default the articulation for keyswitch C0 (using EWQL scales) will play this is the "Sus Vib" articulation (check out the EWQL manual for descriptors). If you played any of the white/black keys on the Play keyboard you would hear the cello played with that articulation. Now, if you depressed key F0 and then played white/black keys on the keyboard you'd hear the cello played with a tremolo articulation. So, by hitting one of those keyswitch notes before or at the same time as you begin playing notes you can play passages of music going from one articulation to another without having to change instruments.

Now, how to get your notation software or sequencer to insert that keyswitch note. Different software use different methods, and since I don't know cubase or Finale I defer to those that do. I mentioned in my earlier note how I send keyswitch notes with Sibelius. Each note on the keyboard is represented by a number. For example, F1 (or F0 using EWQL scales) is represented by the number 29, and so if I send the message ~N29,1 (send note 29) to Sibelius for the cello keyswitch instrument it plays subsequent notes using the tremolo articulation. I also mentioned Jonathan Loving, who has sound sets to help EWQL users in Sibelius, where the keyswitches are connected to text or various articulation symbols, so you don't need to know any of these codes. Also, I used to use the Overture notation software before its demise. Overture was very sequencer-like, and all you had to do was pencil in F1 on the sequencer and that would send your keyswitch message.

Again, I hope this is useful. Good luck. And I'll be in touch regarding the concerto...

Again Robert thanks for your input.  Yes I have opened EWQLPP and discovered the key switches (blue notes) top and bottom.  They only seem to appear however when you select VCS KS Master - not with VCS KS Elements???

Yes that will be helpful although I havent yet used EWQL with Finale.  Consequently at this stage I am unsure how to enter notes into Finale with the key switches.  I will have a look though and come back to you.  I guess with Cubase it would simply be a matter of entering notes in real time (ie recording and depressing whichever KS articulation you wanted (in real time).  I will also try this.

Clearly I am ecstatic that someone has listened to my Concerto and likes it.  Look forward to your further comments there Robert.

Jim 

Hi again James. I found a tutorial video on Youtube which explains how to apply keyswitch in Cubase using EWQL sound library. Hope this will help you better.

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jEKV9F_mYE

Sam

Well there you go Sam - that is an absolutely perfect and easy explanation for me.

I havent tried it yet but the YT video explains it VERY well - thanks a million Sam.

Only question I have is that I noticed he selected "Master" under KS menu in EW - wonder what the "Elements" is as when I selected that recently when messing around with KS it did not show any coloured keys (ie keyswitches) on the bottom. keyboard.

Thanks anyway mate.

Hi James

I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner on this - I've barely touched my emails this week. It looks like others have explained nicely and there are a few good video tutorials out there. I'll look over the posts to see if there's anything to add.

To try answer your question of Master vs. Elements instrument patches:

The Master patch loads almost all available articulations, with keyswitch assignments. This means that all the samples are actually loaded into your RAM and immediately ready to use as you wish.

The Elements instrument contains the same articulations as the Master, but does not actually load them. This is useful when you are auditioning or unsure of which particular articulation you want to use. You can load and unload them manually by clicking on the "Load" box in the centre panel of Play. This is faster than auditioning articulations by loading them individually from the Play browser, saves you RAM, and also allows you to audition combined articulations (eg a Sus with a Stacc played at the same time can be an interesting and useful timbre). Elements is also a useful way to go if you don't intend to switch articulations, eg you ONLY intend to use Muted Trumpet.

(Note: "RT" in instrument names means "Release Trails", which is the recording of the decay in the concert hall where the sample was recorded.)

So, the Master KS instrument patch has almost everything loaded and ready, whether you need it or not, and you'll have to manually unload the unwanted articulations from the Play panel in order to save yourself RAM (if it's a concern). I say "almost" everything because, for example, the 2TP KS Master instrument DOESN'T include the Mute Stac RR X 6 articulation, and neither does the Elements instrument.

Please look at the EWQL Orchestra Manual from page 39 to 95 for a full listing of articulations available for each instrument, and whether they're included in the keyswitch patches.

I hope that clarifies the difference a bit. I'll look at the other posts shortly.

Cheers

Thanks a lot for that very excellent explanation Anthony

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service