Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I have been making music for 6 years and I am now starting to practise scoring to picture in Cubase. I have a few potential clients that want to work with me too.

The simple question is: did you start scoring for free (as a volunteer) just to build your credits and portfolio before charging? If so, has it benefited when you show a client your track record?

Views: 324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lol.

I think the original question was,

"Did you start film scoring as a volunteer "contract"?"

"The simple question is: did you start scoring for free (as a volunteer) just to build your credits and portfolio before charging? If so, has it benefited when you show a client your track record?"

I think the actual monetary values accrued in relation to specific sales is not the issue precisely; but whether or not scoring for free had benefits; or whether showing a "track record" has had benefits.

------

Reply by DriscollMusick 3 hours ago:

Someone actually paid $5000 for a piece with a 2nd movement that was a minute of silence?

------

I don't think it matters whether someone paid $5000 for a piece with a movement that has a "minute of silence" in it.   That's entirely up the person who paid.  The question appears to be, is there a difference between composing music and cleaning carpets?

--------

Reply by DriscollMusick 3 hours ago:

I feel like there's something different about composing music vs. cleaning carpets...  I just can't put my finger on it.

-------

Well said,  I think there is too.

-------

"BTW, commercial that aired on NBC."

-------

I think there is a danger of violating the spirit of Composers' Forum in such a discussion.  We have the guideline which states:

"Our community is one of peers socializing and not a place of advertising ..."

One may argue, with some justification, as follows: 

Advertising is, of course, amongst civilized thinking people, anathema, and a degradation and corruption of one's moral and intellectual bearings.  It is discouraged on this site.

We have the additional admonition:

"Please respect our members by not posting advertisements for yourself or products or sites you support ..."

Might we be careful about going too far in the direction of advertising, promoting commercial thinking, or advertising for ourselves?     

--------

Let us consider dispassionately, this phrase,

" ... and by the way business is business whether it be music or anything else."

From the perspective of pure logic, the statement, "Business is business," is a tautology. It explains nothing.

However, if "Business is business," as you say, then "Music is music," and that speaks volumes, if the names Mozart, Beethoven and Bach mean anything.

Have you ever heard that Mozart almost became a rat catcher.  It's been mentioned before.  (It's a bit like a carpet cleaner, in that the rat catcher provides the means to make one's living space more comfortable—it's not an occupation to despise, but it's different in important respects from composing music).  Even so, I think most of us value the fact that Mozart remained a composer instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oIFrdepba0

Fast forward past the Beethoven part, to the part where you see the sign, near 3:06 with these words:

Rodent Exterminating Boutique

Mozart

Ratcatcher to the Nobility (and Ordinary People, too).

Ici on parle Portuguese

--------

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service