Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Inspired by JS Bach's work, I have composed a Bach'ish music.  This is a concerto for piano and strings.  Thank you very much.

Concerto for Piano and Strings

Views: 248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Minseo..

Although it  does sound bachian,, i would say though that it's references  are mainly from 3 famous pieces of his:  Bach keyb. concerto, in D minor, keyb. concerto in C minor, and the violin concerto in Gminor- 2nd mov't.  

And the tracks are not well camouflaged.. And comes across as causally 'lifted' - a pale reflection; a veneer.

 Although there are some good lessons learned here, but it seems to me that you need to listen  to much more Bach, and integrate much more deeply, which i believe would bring greater conviction to your own voice coming out - instead of imitation.

A lot of work here, technically.  

Though i do remember a piano piece you posted here that was directly lifted from chopin's nocturne #2.

You might try experimenting some.

Sorry if i sound harsh.. This is my honest response.

One thing i forgot to mention, is that the harmonic passage around the minute mark, seems out of context.

…said the spectator, whose response to listening to your post is not showing.

Minseo, I take back the comment "a pale reflection; a veneer."… That was unnecessary and i apologize.

Thanks Ray.

Gregorio X,

You are absolutely right!  I did reference many of Bach's work (including the ones you have specified) and tried to emulate his style.   I am a big fan of Bach, so I wanted to make music of similar style of his although my attempt to imitate his musical style was not so successful.  It was not my intention to find my inner voice when composing this specific piece.

 

It is my honor to hear a constructive criticism from a Bach expert like you!  I will definitely try to listen to Bach music more as you have suggested.

 

BTW, I did not "lift" anything from Chopin's Nocturne No. 2 when I composed the nocturne you are referring to.  However, I do respect your opinion.

 

Anyway, thank you very much for listening my music and taking time to comments on it.  Have a nice day!



gregorio X said:

Hi Minseo..

Although it  does sound bachian,, i would say though that it's references  are mainly from 3 famous pieces of his:  Bach keyb. concerto, in D minor, keyb. concerto in C minor, and the violin concerto in Gminor- 2nd mov't.  

And the tracks are not well camouflaged.. And comes across as causally 'lifted' - a pale reflection; a veneer.

 Although there are some good lessons learned here, but it seems to me that you need to listen  to much more Bach, and integrate much more deeply, which i believe would bring greater conviction to your own voice coming out - instead of imitation.

A lot of work here, technically.  

Though i do remember a piano piece you posted here that was directly lifted from chopin's nocturne #2.

You might try experimenting some.

Sorry if i sound harsh.. This is my honest response.

One thing i forgot to mention, is that the harmonic passage around the minute mark, seems out of context.

Ray,

I won't argue with a Pope.  Thanks.


Ray --Baybars said:

Hello Minseo,

You can't argue with a Pope

Actually, I agree with you. No need to apologize...

gregorio X said:

Minseo, I take back the comment "a pale reflection; a veneer."… That was unnecessary and i apologize.

Thanks Ray.

Thank you Minseo.

Point taken - regarding your nocturne.. 

 you  mention: "a Bach expert like you"..  I can only say that i have played and looked at many pieces by Bach - and love his work.. I don't think that qualities me as an expert.. 

All the best to you.

Gregorio

Hi Minseo,

Some competent writing in here for sure and a decent handle on counterpoint.

Gregorio might correct me here, but at 1'22" in the first mvt, I heard a chord progression more suited to Michel Legrand than Papa. (ref. 'What are you doing the rest of your life' ) Also at 2.50, the cadenza sounded more Schumann to me, but I don't know all of Bach's concertos, so don't take me too seriously!

I enjoyed the slow mvt. very much. It was nice to hear an expansive characterful theme. The 3rd mvt too, had a lot of the expected mannerisms and was enjoyable.

Mike.

Hi Minseo, I enjoyed listening to this piece.

I thought it sounded very Bach-like but with your

own flavor and interpretation. I'm not referring to

any technical aspects.

From my perspective, I would eliminate the 2nd

movement entirely from this work and save it for

something else. I don't think that it really complimented

the rest of the piece. I would try for something else in

it's place.      just a thought                    RS

Roger,

I appreciate your comments.  Glad to hear that you have enjoyed listening to this piece.  Of course, it was impossible for me not to add my flavor.  I hope I did not take Bach's name in vain.^^  Thanks for letting me know that the 2nd movement does not seem to fit.


roger stancill said:

Hi Minseo, I enjoyed listening to this piece.

I thought it sounded very Bach-like but with your

own flavor and interpretation. I'm not referring to

any technical aspects.

From my perspective, I would eliminate the 2nd

movement entirely from this work and save it for

something else. I don't think that it really complimented

the rest of the piece. I would try for something else in

it's place.      just a thought                    RS

Mike,

First of all, thank you very much for taking your time for listening and commenting.  Your comments are very valuable to me. BTW, I just listened to some of your composition "Partita Concordia for string trio" and enjoyed it very much!  I see you also like Bach…


Mike Hewer said:

Hi Minseo,

Some competent writing in here for sure and a decent handle on counterpoint.

Gregorio might correct me here, but at 1'22" in the first mvt, I heard a chord progression more suited to Michel Legrand than Papa. (ref. 'What are you doing the rest of your life' ) Also at 2.50, the cadenza sounded more Schumann to me, but I don't know all of Bach's concertos, so don't take me too seriously!

I enjoyed the slow mvt. very much. It was nice to hear an expansive characterful theme. The 3rd mvt too, had a lot of the expected mannerisms and was enjoyable.

Mike.

... just listened to some of your composition "Partita Concordia for string trio" and enjoyed it very much!  I see you also like Bach…

Thanks Minseo,  that piece is just a tribute to him and earlier masters, glad you enjoyed it. Do you write in any other styles?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sign up info

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service