Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is the first movement of a concerto I am writing for a friend of mine and wind symphony.  This recording uses Sibelius and Gerritan Orchestral Sounds.  Unfortunately, I could not get the percussion samples to work, except for timpani...and since it was Garritan Orchestral, the Euphonium as a tuba patch...so anything about high G doesn't sound...but those are few and far between.  

I would LOVE feedback as I am still revising and continuing to write.

Views: 379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ooo...hadn't thought of that.  GREAT idea.

thanks for the comments!

Sibelius 7.  I used the garritan Symphonic Orchestra vst.  I also have Studio One.

I like this, Matthew, lots of rhythmic verve and vitality, along with very clever harmonic stuff happening. Some cool accompaniment variations under the euph solo. I agree with Per Eric that it just needs some more length, especially considering it's the first movement (and the great stuff you have to build on). You probably already are aware of it, but there are some really nice euphonium and baritone sounds in the Garritan Concert and Marching Band library.

Looking forward to what you do further with this!

Thank you Danny!  I am going to upload the complete 1st movement

The completed score of the 1st movement.

Attachments:

An mp3 of the completed 1st movement.

Attachments:

I do think this does work out better with the longer length, Matthew. Some challenging stuff in there, to be sure, but really nice stuff going on compositionally. Some of the "tight" harmonies spoken of already might prove to be a little problematic sonically in live performance, but they're definitely worth giving a shot -- I totally get what you're going for. Just an incidental suggestion: the .mp3 sounds a little "hot" on my system to the point of clipping in the loudest sections. I'm not experiencing the same thing with any other audio files, so you might want to check levels with your audio program and de-clip if there are some over-level peaks.

This certainly promises to be a top-notch piece once you complete it! Looking forward to the finished product.

Thank you very much. Although I have been in bands for a long time, this my first venture into writing for a full concert band orchestration. I am excited to see what works and what doesn't. 

Danny Williams said:

I do think this does work out better with the longer length, Matthew. Some challenging stuff in there, to be sure, but really nice stuff going on compositionally. Some of the "tight" harmonies spoken of already might prove to be a little problematic sonically in live performance, but they're definitely worth giving a shot -- I totally get what you're going for. Just an incidental suggestion: the .mp3 sounds a little "hot" on my system to the point of clipping in the loudest sections. I'm not experiencing the same thing with any other audio files, so you might want to check levels with your audio program and de-clip if there are some over-level peaks.

This certainly promises to be a top-notch piece once you complete it! Looking forward to the finished product.

Didn't realize this was a first effort in this genre... awesome!

Good suggestion.  I will certainly do that.

Cl.1 or Clar 1 is common practice abbreviation; great advice

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service