Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi there,

This is my second post here, and I am taking the opportunity to share some of my frustrations regarding the composing process.

My process has the following steps:

1. The melody appears, either in form of a combination of instruments or a single one.
  2. Still inside my head, the melody evolves and transforms into whole different sections of a potential music
  3. Once the music seems to be ready to pass it to the computer, here is where the problem starts
  4. As soon as I begin to play one of the sections melody, I become deeply influenced by it and gradually start to immerse myself in this one melody, forgetting the others that composed the whole music
  5. Usually the end result is barely half of what I previous imagined, and much simpler or weaker than I had heard in my head

What I ask now is for a point in a direction, a direction where I can learn to overcome this limitation. I can tell the more I make and play music, the easier the flow of the notes in the head to the sheet (or computer) becomes. But still, this had to do with becoming too infatuated with a single melody and not being able to go to the next section...

Any tips? tricks? do's and do not's?

Thanks in advance for everyone sharing their opinion =)

(This is a piece I made yesterday, hours of frustration...)

Views: 38

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Nuno.

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to give my opinion on this but it is a subject I've tried to tackle for a long time as well. I think the only way to connect more with an instrument is to improvise more, sing stuff in your head then play it on your instrument. But I'm sure you know this, however it takes a very long time.

I'm not sure if this helps anything but there's a really good principal teached to pianists that focuses on mental visualization of the things you're playing. I'm fairly sure that this exersize can be changed into a firmer connection between your melodies and your paper/computer/instrument. The first "level" of this technique is based on learning by heart how it looks and sounds when you play a piece. Seeing your fingers move in your head and the keys being pushed down and hearing the sound and so on. The second level of this is seeing the notes in your head while also seeing the notes and fingermovements. The basic principle for this technique can be found at pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.II.12 , then all you have to do is change it so that it's just about seeing the notes and hearing the melodies. I believe that by doing this you can create a better connection to your memory by engaging in the music you create both audialy and visually. Sorry if I'm wasting your time with this, but it was the only thing I could think of that may help.

Nice piece of music, hope you have a sound day

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the video, I'll watch it carefully as soon as possible. I know I have lengths to go on equalization, mastering and plenty of other productions techniques. I spend so much time on translating the melodies and mood to the computer that at the end of each session I have little energy left the production, I know I need to change this...

Cheers

Ray Kemp said:

Nuno,

You're doing great, just keep going, keep experimenting.

What I would say about this track is I think you need to layer more on your synth sounds, fatten them up.

More texture and range. Take a look at this

Hi vincenti,

First of all, you must be at least as qualified as me, so shoot away any thought or opinion without reservation =)

I have actually heard and studied about what you wrote. What I read was about mental visualization. It's a technique taught to professional musicians and athletes to increase their performance and ability to reach the "flow" state. I think that alone requires another thread specific on the matter =)

Thanks for the comment!

vincenti zghra said:

Hi Nuno.

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to give my opinion on this but it is a subject I've tried to tackle for a long time as well. I think the only way to connect more with an instrument is to improvise more, sing stuff in your head then play it on your instrument. But I'm sure you know this, however it takes a very long time.

I'm not sure if this helps anything but there's a really good principal teached to pianists that focuses on mental visualization of the things you're playing. I'm fairly sure that this exersize can be changed into a firmer connection between your melodies and your paper/computer/instrument. The first "level" of this technique is based on learning by heart how it looks and sounds when you play a piece. Seeing your fingers move in your head and the keys being pushed down and hearing the sound and so on. The second level of this is seeing the notes in your head while also seeing the notes and fingermovements. The basic principle for this technique can be found at pianofundamentals.com/book/en/1.II.12 , then all you have to do is change it so that it's just about seeing the notes and hearing the melodies. I believe that by doing this you can create a better connection to your memory by engaging in the music you create both audialy and visually. Sorry if I'm wasting your time with this, but it was the only thing I could think of that may help.

Nice piece of music, hope you have a sound day

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service