Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Kjell Prytz (added 02/01/2020)

Tell us a little bit about yourself. Your music background and anything else you'd like to share.

I am an amateur pianist and composer, being active since childhood. I am self-taught through books, reading scores, listening and lately, thanks to the web, through mutual feedback from other composers. I deliberately chose that way since I have no commercial interest and I believe in self-development. I carry the dream to find a personal style in composition. I believe in modernism although my music still sounds a bit old-fashioned but I develop, I am curious.

How would you describe your musical style or styles?

My music is tonal but postmodern. I do not believe in rules in music, just emotions. I could take impression from anything, from science, nature and maybe most of all others music. I am very much influenced by the song tradition in my country. Many of my pieces have this song form, like something you sing.

What and/or who are your chief influences?

The great masters: Bach (was this is a person or institute by the way?) for its mathematical structure and counterpoint, Beethoven for his unrestrained creativity, Brahms for his orchestration, Debussy for his innovative and courage and R Strauss for his musical power. Just male Europeans I notice. However, I adore the female singer/songwriters in my country who influence my themes a lot.

Can you name something you did in a piece of music of which you are particularly happy?

I like it when I am able to mix with a modern instrument. I have done that with guitar. I also found a lovely sound when I combined organ with solo violin (sounds like Albinoni). I am also proud of the rare constellation guitar and violin for which I composed a couple of pieces, rather appreciated. I also managed to make a fugue and a waltz, which for a long time has been my dream. 

Are you published anywhere? How could someone who is interested purchase your music?

I have only self-published on different web sites. It is a great tool. I could never have dreamt of the possibilities that open up for us amateur musicians today. To be able to compose with the computer and to spread it all over the world.

I compose directly on the score which is played back by the computer. The scores are available to anyone who wants to perform. This is actually my main goal, to get the music performed. Probably I need to publish first.

If you could offer one piece of advice to other composers, what would it be?

Follow your emotions and conviction, let the creativity flow. In this way you will find a personal style and become a unique composer.

If you could put 3 pieces of your music on the Voyager spacecraft for dissemination to the stars, what would they be? Also, please give a brief description of each piece and a link.

Lovely question.

Come into being. It is built on two contrasting themes which both I count as my best:
https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/come-into-being-orchestral-st...

Amber: Feels modern with the guitar play being an important part.
https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/amber

LambdaCDM: My first minimal symphony consisting of three continuous episodes (short movements). I can’t stop listening to it. It gives me pleasure.
https://soundcloud.com/user-892939153/lambdacdm

Is there anything else you would like to say?

I am totally amazed by the computer technology. To have a full orchestra available to anyone in your computer. How is it possible to reproduce all its sound so authentically, it is a miracle which I cannot get used to. I am overwhelmed.

I think this website is excellent. We have found a level of trust, where criticism is more like encouragements and suggestions. This is actually rather rare among the world’s musical websites. I am grateful for that and thanks to its administrators.

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you have any questions or comments for Kjell, please feel free to leave them here -

I'm happy to see Kjell get this recognition here, it is well deserved.  He has a large body of high quality work with a lot of variety as well which is hard to do. We are lucky to have him as a member of CF; thanks to Kjell and Gav both for this post.

Hi,

I would like to know what your name means and where you're from. You have produced quality music and this recognition is well deserved. Much Success in all future endeavors.

Regards

I am truly glad to read your words, Ingo. It gives me such an encouragement. It is much to much.

Thank you indeed.

Kjell

Ingo Lee said:

I'm happy to see Kjell get this recognition here, it is well deserved.  He has a large body of high quality work with a lot of variety as well which is hard to do. We are lucky to have him as a member of CF; thanks to Kjell and Gav both for this post.

Thank you for your kind words, Saul. If you mean my personal name, my surname has an interesting history. It derives from the old country named Borussia in latin, there are still a couple of football teams in Germany with that name. I am Swedish myself.

Greetings,

Kjell

Saul Gefen said:

Hi,

I would like to know what your name means and where you're from. You have produced quality music and this recognition is well deserved. Much Success in all future endeavors.

Regards

Its my pleasure Kjell,

Thanks for the info, and again a worthy well earned recognition.

Regards

This was very interesting to learn more about you Kjell. Your music constantly sticks out to me as engaging while also deep and exploratory. I can't say I have ever listened to anything you wrote I didn't like. I especially resonate with the idea of emotion over rules. 

Best to you in your future endeavors! Gav thanks for interviewing him.

Thank you very much Tim, much appreciated words from a composer whose music appeal to me too.

Timothy Smith said:

This was very interesting to learn more about you Kjell. Your music constantly sticks out to me as engaging while also deep and exploratory. I can't say I have ever listened to anything you wrote I didn't like. I especially resonate with the idea of emotion over rules. 

Best to you in your future endeavors! Gav thanks for interviewing him.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service