Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

comments/constructive criticism requested for a capella SATB quartet arrangement: "Of The Father's Love Begotten"

Hi everyone! This is my first posting here. Please give a look/listen to this mockup of my first a capella arrangement, for SATB quartet, of the hymn "Of The Father's Love Begotten". All comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

James,

In my opinion this is extremely good. Very beautiful. The atmosphere is one of a sweet lightness and joy without ever losing the sense of the majestic. The harmonies are refreshingly new without sounding artificial or forced. And the whole thing flows so naturally from the beginning to the end! In this composition you offer me something to study and to learn from. 

I especially enjoyed listening to this work because there is nothing in it of the artifiality which make many XXth century choir works sound so boring to me. Congratulations. Leave it as it is. It is a finished work. Don't change a note of it. 

Geert

Thanks, Timothy, I am glad you enjoyed it!

Timothy Smith said:

I enjoyed this. I like that it doesn't push vocal ranges to their limits. As a person who sings in a  choir I would give this a big thumbs up!!

Geert, wow! Thank you for your extremely kind words. I am happy that you enjoy it, and consider it a piece that can be learned from.

Geert ter Horst said:

James,

In my opinion this is extremely good. Very beautiful. The atmosphere is one of a sweet lightness and joy without ever losing the sense of the majestic. The harmonies are refreshingly new without sounding artificial or forced. And the whole thing flows so naturally from the beginning to the end! In this composition you offer me something to study and to learn from. 

I especially enjoyed listening to this work because there is nothing in it of the artifiality which make many XXth century choir works sound so boring to me. Congratulations. Leave it as it is. It is a finished work. Don't change a note of it. 

Geert

Fantastic choir work. Refreshing, sometimes daring or audacious, but never disturbing. Although many sequences flow in un 'unexpected way', they always come back to the expected and almost consonant harmony. The rhythmic accompaniment of the non-soloistic voices is wonderful and makes the arrangement a lot richer.

I enjoyed the entire piece immensely!

Jos

You have a great feel for this medium James, this is an enjoyable listen.  Thank you for the video score, it makes reading this too easy. 

I have the EW wordbuilder app and it is frustrating to use for me at least.  Their choir sounds are good for the most part but the Hollywood backup singers version is a disappointment to me.  Hopefully others have more skill with it.

Good work!

Jos, thank you, I am glad you enjoyed this! Considering your musical background, I am especially appreciative of your comments. I just listened to Baletto dell'Asino, and found it to be delightful, and a very cohesive composition. I look forward to listening to other pieces you have posted here, and/or on your web site.

Jos Wylin said:

Fantastic choir work. Refreshing, sometimes daring or audacious, but never disturbing. Although many sequences flow in un 'unexpected way', they always come back to the expected and almost consonant harmony. The rhythmic accompaniment of the non-soloistic voices is wonderful and makes the arrangement a lot richer.

I enjoyed the entire piece immensely!

Jos

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service