Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

The Composers’ Forum is looking for members who are interested in participating in a collaborative treatise on the subject of Atonalism, to be presented on this site. 3 members are needed in order for the project to be a go. You can express interest by replying on this thread or PMing me. The deadline to express interest is 8/31/18 at 5 pm EST. Feel free also to ask any questions you may have by replying to this thread.

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Bob, Lawrence and Teoh for your help. This is what I mean for a serious and grammatically correct definition of terms.

Bob, I agree that tone and tonal are two different concepts, and so they should be, but see below.

Teoh, I think you got it in a nutshell.  "Atonal" as a term does derive from the word "tonal" as a concept. Here I think that language and its usage failed us. I find this term quite poor for describing such a marvellous and complex application as tonality with 400 years history.

And Lawrence, you've got it in a nutshell too! If you refer to my explanation of the steritic "a" and the word that follows it as a concept meaning the opposite than the word that follows it, there it is:

Tonal is a positive term

Atonal is a negative term which can only tell us what something is not, but never what it is.

I also find myself in sympathy with the idea of pan-tonal, but given our 20th century music practices and taking into account the East as well as the West hemisphere, I prefer to call modern music pan-intervalic rather than pan-tonal.

I wish I had some more time to carry on but… :-)

Hey guys, it’s fine if you want to discuss this, but please do it on a different thread, this thread is for sign-ups for the proposed project -
Gav

But that's just it. Folks can't sign-up for something if they don't know what they are signing up for. "Atonal" (whatever that is) might be too broad a term for a treatise.

Hi Bob, once someone signs up, they can help define the scope of the project, the meaning of the word, etc. All signing up does is get you a seat at the discussion table.

OK. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2018   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service