Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Written 18 months ago. In the time since I’ve attempted to convert it to VSL – without success. Samples here are ancient but I can’t get the effect I want with VSL. Why? I don’t know. So I’d leave it as it is except for some pizz stuff near the end which I may cut out.

It’s one I’d like to submit to our County orchestra so my question is, does it sound adequate as a mock-up?

I’d be truly appreciative of any comment, good or bad. It’s slow, ruminative; and if you think it’s boring don’t be afraid to say. Sooner here than people afterwards glancing heavenward should it be performed!

Many thanks. 

NOTE: THANKS TO SOME PERCEPTIVE COMMENTS I REVISED THE ENDING. IF INCLINED TO LISTEN, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS REVISED EDITION.

https://soundcloud.com/acitore/clouds-version-2

Instead of this one. Thank you. :)

https://soundcloud.com/acitore/clouds-landscapes

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes. I think we're talking about different things. Video and music can accompany each other fine. (I don't always think they're appropriate for each other but that's aside). I was questioning the value of trying to paint a tone picture with music though some composers do - including me!  Just as I'd question a (silent) video trying to compose music. Sometimes associations can be made - but rarely in my (perhaps limited) experience.

Bob Porter said:

Well sure, music is all about mood. But I think music tied somehow to, say, video, is a powerful thing. You can say it limits what you feel. But it also might help focus what you feel. Just depends.

I think I would double up on that last chord somehow, still. The whole piece floats this way and that at a very slow pace, if you want to wrap it up then the wrapping also needs some time to sink in.

Excellent work.

Dane,

Sorry, I got interrupted. I think it possible that music paints a picture in your minds eye. I'm not sure we can divorce mood and emotions completely from what we envision. For me, Ashokan Farewell will forever be tied to Ken Burns' Civil War. And I'm OK with that. It wasn't written for it. Of course, video and music aren't always appropriate for each other. But I love a good soundtrack. 

As soon as I see a piece titled Clouds, I can't help but think of Nuages by Debussy (in other words, Claude's Clouds). Without the rapid figures on the woodwinds, it would be fairly similar, updated about a 100 years, of course. Which is how I would prefer it, but TJM as they say. Much of your music seems to have this kind of writing (the rapid figurations, that is). I guess that is just how you like to structure your pieces. And you do it quite well.

On the impressionist/expressionist thing, perhaps these two are on a continuum. As such, I would judge this piece as falling somewhere in the middle. 

Many thanks for that suggestion, Greg. I'll probably do something like that. I altered it because of earlier comments to make it faded away rather than end on a cadence and, quite right, doubling the chord and fading it more quietly still could signal "it's gone".

Cheers. Thank you for listening.

Greg Brus said:

I think I would double up on that last chord somehow, still. The whole piece floats this way and that at a very slow pace, if you want to wrap it up then the wrapping also needs some time to sink in.

Excellent work.

Many thanks for your kind comments, Michael.  Before now I’ve been called “the poor man’s Debussy!” (I think I’m closer to earlier Sculthorpe.) Impressionist is just a general label. Sometimes a tune presents itself as happened here. I just go by what I feel.

I doubt I’ll write anything in this vein for a while – just one more that I’ve recently converted to Vsl, hopefully with a bit more success.

Thank you for listening. Much appreciated.

TJM?

michael diemer said:

As soon as I see a piece titled Clouds, I can't help but think of Nuages by Debussy (in other words, Claude's Clouds). Without the rapid figures on the woodwinds, it would be fairly similar, updated about a 100 years, of course. Which is how I would prefer it, but TJM as they say. Much of your music seems to have this kind of writing (the rapid figurations, that is). I guess that is just how you like to structure your pieces. And you do it quite well.

On the impressionist/expressionist thing, perhaps these two are on a continuum. As such, I would judge this piece as falling somewhere in the middle. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service