Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

This is a little piece I did to put the the software Cinematic Strings 2.1 through it's paces.

I used one instance of it for each of the 5 string sections: Vlns 1, Vls 2, Vlas, Cellos, Basses. I tried to make use of all the important articulations: Arco, Tremolo, Pizz, Stacatto and Trills.

It was sequenced in Logic with no added processing except some slight panning. The reverb belongs to CS.

I include a (simplified) score.

When I have time I'll sequence the same tune using Vienna Special Edition orchestral strings and compare.

PS, the violas should be divisi but I couldn't be bothered to reflect it in the score!

I hope someone may find it useful or interesting. :)

Views: 1356

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow sounds great! I went to their website and I must say I was very impressed! Thanks!

Not bad, but violins always seem to be the hardest to pull off without any synthetic sound to them. I have accepted that no one will ever overcome this, so you have to go with the best out there for the money you have to spend. I have to agree that CS is that library, and I will probably get it at some point. Right now I'm relying on East West Gold for most of my strings. I agree that the Garritan strings are very dated at this point, I barely use them, only for an occasional spot where they somehow sound better. However, the Garritan woodwinds are another matter, especially the oboes and clarinets. Some of the brass is very nice as well. I also like their percussion. So, Quinn, I would advise you to wait for East West to have a sale, and grab their Symphonic Orchestra Gold for 200.00. A tremendous buy. Then, when you can afford it, get CS. Then you'll have a nice library to work with.

Never say never.

The nature of technology means new V.I.s will continue to be developed. The Vienna Dimension series looks like taking a step towards greater realism.

As ever it's best to mix and match as far as budget allows.

BTW, for solo violin there is Embertone's Friedlander which is pretty cool and only $110. Works on Kontakt 5 Player and I'm finding it useful.

It's also worth getting on the email list of VST Buzz which give you special offers on a range of individual and quirky libraries. I just got a fantastic musical box sample for $12.

michael diemer said:

Not bad, but violins always seem to be the hardest to pull off without any synthetic sound to them. I have accepted that no one will ever overcome this, so you have to go with the best out there for the money you have to spend. I have to agree that CS is that library, and I will probably get it at some point. Right now I'm relying on East West Gold for most of my strings. I agree that the Garritan strings are very dated at this point, I barely use them, only for an occasional spot where they somehow sound better. However, the Garritan woodwinds are another matter, especially the oboes and clarinets. Some of the brass is very nice as well. I also like their percussion. So, Quinn, I would advise you to wait for East West to have a sale, and grab their Symphonic Orchestra Gold for 200.00. A tremendous buy. Then, when you can afford it, get CS. Then you'll have a nice library to work with.

Hahaha.

I'd use real players every time  but alas.............

Raymond Kemp said:

Well, I'm not a fan of Dimension Strings mainly because it gives a false impression that we can get close to the real thing by having individual players. 'same goes for Friedlander. No amount of controls will match real so the closer the developer gets the further they need to go and of course, the user's knowledge and input is still the biggest factor in musicality.

Michael, I believe you have it but most don't, no matter what money they spend in chasing it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service