Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello everyone, 

I would like to share with you my latest piano tune "Change"; An eastern taste that dives right into a western flavor. I would really love to hear your feedback and any room for improvements in any way. I have only used the piano to play it. 

I hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgoxYeS0zg

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A pleasant relaxing piece, effective because of its simplicity and about the right length. Any longer and it would become hypnotic (which is perfectly fine if that were your aim). The second half rocks between a tonal centre of F# minor and it's unaltered chord VII, E minor.  

I have to confess the opening didn't sound particularly Eastern except the 5/4 or 5/8 time signature. Nice one, that.

Well done.

Oh thank u so much. Well, yes it kicks off with a western genre and then it changes or dives (at the second half) right into an eastern flavor (with the tonal center of F# as you had mentioned) ; and yes the second half is different in taste than the beginning as you have said; That was the change I was aiming for; My main goal was more of experimenting changing the genre of music without changing the context of the composition. I am really glad that some how you have connected to it.

Many thanks Dane for your kind words, your feedback and your observations :)

All the best,

Islam

Dane Aubrun said:

A pleasant relaxing piece, effective because of its simplicity and about the right length. Any longer and it would become hypnotic (which is perfectly fine if that were your aim). The second half rocks between a tonal centre of F# minor and it's unaltered chord VII, E minor.  

I have to confess the opening didn't sound particularly Eastern except the 5/4 or 5/8 time signature. Nice one, that.

Well done.

Great job. I enjoyed the contrasts you had in this - made it very colorful. It felt just a little bit long for me but maybe that's just me. Overall, really great. Looking forward to more. 

Oh thank you very much Songwon for your kind words and your observation, I am really happy with that :D, I also look forward to hear your thoughts on my upcoming compositions.

All the best,

Islam

Songwon said:

Great job. I enjoyed the contrasts you had in this - made it very colorful. It felt just a little bit long for me but maybe that's just me. Overall, really great. Looking forward to more. 

Hi Islam,

A pleasant, rhythmic pop tune. I found that the longer I listened to it, the more I wanted to hear some more contrast, and when this didn't happen, my interest started to fade. Thanks for sharing -

Gav

Oh thank you for sharing your thoughts Gav, I see and I understand, I think I ll consider that my upcoming composition and I hope that it gets your interest all the time playin :)

All the best

Islam

Gav Brown said:

Hi Islam,

A pleasant, rhythmic pop tune. I found that the longer I listened to it, the more I wanted to hear some more contrast, and when this didn't happen, my interest started to fade. Thanks for sharing -

Gav

Hi Islam -   I like your composition and I agree with the other comments here. Most of us on this forum have spent a lot of time listening to complex instrumental music so when we hear a well done simple structure like you have here we enjoy and appreciate your direct approach.  But that can only hold our attention for so long.  My suggestion would be to develop your material in a way that involves your listeners more as the music unfolds.  There are many ways to do this of course but you might consider adding other instruments which is easy to do these days.  By doing that you can add interest and still stay in the style that you have here. Good work!

Many thanks Ingo Lee for your suggestion and I am glad that you liked it. I will keep your thoughts in mind when composing my next piece, although that I thought about adding more instruments many times, but I have always took that challenge of trying to connect the audience using a single instrument especially a one that has a collective of high and low dynamic range such as the piano. I look up to yiruma's piano performances as a musician and I hope that I meet his level one day. I'd love to hear your feedback particularly on the level of interest and connectivity as the music build and unfold once I post my next composition :)

All the best

Islam

Ingo Lee said:

Hi Islam -   I like your composition and I agree with the other comments here. Most of us on this forum have spent a lot of time listening to complex instrumental music so when we hear a well done simple structure like you have here we enjoy and appreciate your direct approach.  But that can only hold our attention for so long.  My suggestion would be to develop your material in a way that involves your listeners more as the music unfolds.  There are many ways to do this of course but you might consider adding other instruments which is easy to do these days.  By doing that you can add interest and still stay in the style that you have here. Good work!

A pretty nice tune with an interesting theme and an elaborate and varied accompaniment in the left hand. I would suggest more contrast and variation, e.g. by letting the theme appear in the left hand.  

(Btw the bass rhythm appears similar to the one used in my waltz recently posted.)

Greetings,

Kjell

Thank you Kjell Prytz for your kind words :) I will definitely consider that my next composition :) many thanks for pointing that out.

(Btw just listened to your waltz, in one word.... amazing) 
All the best,

Islam
Kjell Prytz said:

A pretty nice tune with an interesting theme and an elaborate and varied accompaniment in the left hand. I would suggest more contrast and variation, e.g. by letting the theme appear in the left hand.  

(Btw the bass rhythm appears similar to the one used in my waltz recently posted.)

Greetings,

Kjell

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service