Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

CF new proposed contest - EMOTION - call for opinions

Hi colleagues,

Some of you know me, and some of you don't. I am a regular member on this site, and have run composition contests here for years. I usually do this about twice a year, and it's been a while since I have run one. This time, the theme of the contest is "EMOTION." The idea is to capture a single emotion, such as "Sadness," or "Happiness." My call to you: what emotion should this contest be based on? Please respond by February, 2/28/16 by 5 pm EST. Whatever emotion is said the most will be the theme of the proposed contest. Please reply on this thread with a one-word-answer if interested.

Gav

Views: 390

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Acceptance.

If that isn't classed as an emotion, then . . . I don't know, could you make us choose from a finite list so we don't get oddities like "hubris"?

performance

Sadness.
If some people are looking for ideas, this link may help: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emotions

Longing 

There seems to be a prevailing trend of sadness / melancholy / depression in music, so what about something different: happiness?

Happy music is harder to write.

H. S. Teoh said:

There seems to be a prevailing trend of sadness / melancholy / depression in music, so what about something different: happiness?



Dave Dexter said:

Happy music is harder to write.

H. S. Teoh said:

There seems to be a prevailing trend of sadness / melancholy / depression in music, so what about something different: happiness?


Not when you're happy!

This is a whole discussion in itself, but I really don't want to keep violating Gav's "one-word-answer" posting request...

David Lilly said:



Dave Dexter said:

Happy music is harder to write.

H. S. Teoh said:

There seems to be a prevailing trend of sadness / melancholy / depression in music, so what about something different: happiness?


Not when you're happy!
If the consensus is no consensus why not allow the entries to express the emotion that is the title of their piece?

Gav, I'll suggest the emotion of the day.... liberal dysfunction  lol

It's the emotion of misguided passion combined with ignorant despair.

The title of my piece will be 'Pouting Snowflakes".

I'll just have to learn to write something for tiny violins. : >/

How about "love". That runs the gamut of emotions. Not to be confused with conservative hate. (Sorry, Roger. Couldn't resist) 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Merritt.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service