Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hey all,

Lately I've been trying to push outside my comfort zone, and am writing poly tonal music that is similar in style to Bartok, or perhaps Stravinsky.  I have been doing this mostly by ear, and to be honest, I could not explain how most of the harmonies function within the piece.  So, the question is how common is this?  Do fellow composers here write the same way?  My current teacher thinks what I'm writing fits, and is consistent enough in each piece that it doesn't sound out of place, but I can't help but feel a little bit unsettled about it right now.

BTW stay tuned for an upload of one of my pieces (written in this style) to the music dissection page.

Views: 468

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For me, at different stages of a composition the attention to each note varies.  Sometimes I think in phrases or splashes of color first and then go back through and add motivic links, pay attention to clashes or consonances that sound off and use various strategies to fix it up, so to speak.  Counterpoint "rules" can be handy at this stage as a reference.  For example, if some particular D# sounds odd against a G#, I ask myself "is it because of a parallel fifth?  Is it because I've already used that pitch as a goal last measure?"  that sort of thing, so not used as rules but as guiding thoughts.  

Really, everything I wrote here is but one example of composing, I've also worked with matrices and interval sets and such where the notes are sort of pre-determined, imagination comes in as to how to make the musical texture come to life, how to rhythmically drive the music, phrases, yadda yadda.  I am a firm believer that there is no one method to compose and that anybody who claims they have found the "secret" just wants your money, or wants to justify money they gave to somebody else.  Don't drink the kool-aid!

Sometimes I just spontaneously get ideas that I quickly record onto the computer (if it is next to me), or a piece of paper.  Other times I have to think hard until I get an idea that I am satisfied with, and then I write that down. After that, I will work with the idea, often taking in other ideas, and manipulate it all until I have a piece.

I can't explain it any better than that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service