Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

The Super Short composition contest: call for entrants. In order for this contest to proceed, there must be at least 5 entrants. The rules of the game are: 1) the work must be no longer than 60 seconds, although it can be any length below that; 2) the work must never have appeared on this site before; 3) Any instrumentation is allowed; 4) an mp3 sound file and a pdf score must be provided.

Judging will be done by members of this site. In order for this contest to take place, there must be 5 entrants by 2 weeks from today: Monday, February 18, by 5 pm EST. Join your peers in this unique challenge!

Views: 2134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that a score is GREAT when trying to "judge" a piece you have not listened to before, but this is just a fun forum contest. The goal is to get as many people writing as possible, not to exclude some for no real reason.

Julie Harris said:

Notice also the word "scores".  I've never entered or judged a competition that didn't require a score.  In fact most of them ONLY allow scores, sound files are verboten.   I'd always favor those with scores over those without, and that's not even a category!

Yes, I agree the criteria of what we should compose for should be set ahead of time.

I didn't think Gav was suggesting these "categories" be criteria, but more of a fun way to offer recognition to the many entrants. Sort of like in grade school, every kid in the class gets a Valentine on February 14. Correct, me if I'm wrong, Gav...

Personally, I would appreciate feedback on my short work more than a Valentine, but I'm never against having a bit of fun. And while I do plan to take notes, I wasn't expecting to share them. It would take much longer to prepare them for viewing. I also don't know if all the other entrants would appreciate feedback, as giving/receiving feedback wasn't initially mentioned.

Hmmmm ...  I think Bach might not even come in second here .... probably last.   No, no, not last - he'd come in a bit higher than Stravinsky, poor ole guy.  Too bad those old fogeys couldn't just relax and have some kicks on a fun forum.   I thought the goal of composing was to keep getting better ...  Silly me.

I think you are missing the point of this "contest".

I'm all for offering feedback on the pieces though. I suppose after the judging period has ended each composer will eventually make a thread about his piece in the dissection forum. If not, they'll save you the hassle of writting stuff they propably don't want to hear.

I didn't mean to create any controversy, and sincerely apologize for that.

I think you're right, Spiros -- I really did miss the point of this contest.  I see now that it's like the contest we have here in North Carolina every year where the object is for everyone to win something and to feel good about themselves. None of the students who are working their tails off  to be real composers ever want to enter what they call the "baby contest" ... they don't want valentines, they are hungry and thirsty to learn.   And so am I.   But that's ok - there are plenty of opportunities for that in many other places.  I'll hush now and sign off  and get back to work ....

I'm trying to understand where you disagree here. nobody said anything about everyone winning something. Janet proposed it, yes, but I don't see it in the contest's rules (and I personally do not agree with it).

What would you change to make this an "adult contest"? Don't missinterpert that question, I'm just curious. 

EDIT: my bad, I missed Gav's latest comment about those "special" awards. While I think you're taking it a bit too seriously, I disagree with it. You can't give so specific "awards" for such diverse pieces, and I see no reason to, anyway. It could be done on another contest, but should be announced before-hand and the entries should have some kind of rules, regarding style, ensemble and so on. I hate seeing this become a cuddle giving event as much as you do. I suppose you can disregard my previous comments, I missunderstood the whole thing.

Spiros, I didn't propose everyone should win something. I used that as an example for "something like" why Gavin proposed adding additional categories. And it was a poor example, at that, because it sounds like a booby prize. Rather, I thought Gavin's suggestion was more about highlighting good features in  the entrants' music, beyond winning first, second or third place... sort of a quick and easy form of feedback – nothing in depth but a nod for a job well done. I could be all wet. I don't really know what all Gav had in mind when he proposed this; but my effort to participate has certainly caused nothing but trouble and misunderstanding.

As I said in that edit, please disregard those comments of mine. I thought it was your idea, apparently I was wrong. 

I see no trouble here. A small misunderstanding perhaps, but we're old enough to resolve that nice and quickly ;)

I sure hope to listen to Julie's entry, after we short out this little mess.

Janet Spangenberg said:

Spiros, I didn't propose everyone should win something. I used that as an example for "something like" why Gavin proposed adding additional categories. And it was a poor example, at that, because it sounds like a booby prize. Rather, I thought Gavin's suggestion was more about highlighting good features in  the entrants' music, beyond winning first, second or third place... sort of a quick and easy form of feedback – nothing in depth but a nod for a job well done. I could be all wet. I don't really know what all Gav had in mind when he proposed this; but my effort to participate has certainly caused nothing but trouble and misunderstanding.

Sorry, Spiros. I must have been replying while you were editing!

Spiros Makris said:

As I said in that edit, please disregard those comments of mine. I thought it was your idea, apparently I was wrong. 

I see no trouble here. A small misunderstanding perhaps, but we're old enough to resolve that nice and quickly ;)

I sure hope to listen to Julie's entry, after we short out this little mess.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the conversation so far! Considering the million dollar prize for first place, the fact that judges have been flown in from around the world, and the fact that musical careers will be made or broken based on a bunch of anonymous people offering commentary on the minute-long compositions presented here, I have decided...

That is SO funny, Ray!!!  

I'm not taking this contest very seriously, especially now.  All I was saying was that I would like to engage with each piece on the composer's turf, rather than my own .... ie - no criteria except what they themselves have set forth. 

And Spiros the competitions that my kids and I like best (as opposed to the ones they consider a waste of time) are the ones where 1) one or more judges give pages of detailed feedback, including suggestions of pieces to study or listen to; their reasons why something works or doesn't work and names of resources to pursue more about whatever topics were raised in the piece   AND/OR  2)  there are huge prizes of money and prestige!!!   AND/OR  3)  the winning pieces get played nationally or internationally and we get feedback from the performers.  Number 3 is my personal favorite, which is why a good score matters a lot to me.   I never considered this contest to have any of those 3 results.  I simply didn't agree with creating categories after the fact.   Sorry it turned into a fracas ...

The one and only reason I entered this contest was to write a piece in a few days that did what I set out for it to do, and that I could enjoy.  It was an exercise for myself in concentration and reaching a goal, and yes even if I'm purposely writing nonsense, every note matters.  It better be damned fine nonsense!!!!   ;-)

Raymond Kemp said:

With over 1200 views on this thread these entries better be special LOL

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service