Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi,

This is a comparison of Brass Trio(Bfl Trumpet, F Horn, Trombone) and

Wind Trio(Bfl Cl, F Horn and Bassoon)...

I used Sonatina VST, Cakewalk and MuseSCORE for both...

Wind Trio

https://soundcloud.com/user-852737091/wind-trio-inchoatam

Brass Trio

https://soundcloud.com/user-852737091/brass-trio-inchoatam

Cheers.

Ali

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ali,

We do suggest keeping music in the Analysis discussion to one per post. No need to alter current post, just something to bear in mind for the future -

Gav

Roger.  I will heed your advice.  Thank you for the kind suggestion.

Ali

Hi Ali, I listened to your Wind Trio and it seems you have deleted your Brass Trio. I don't know if you wanted us to compare the two but I understand Gav's desire to limit our posts here. Perhaps you can post the Brass Trio later and refer to this piece for a comparison.

This piece is spare and modern but tonal sounding with somewhat mechanical sounding lines without much dissonance. The feeling is somber but not really a lament, it has a serious purposeful motion to it.  It has three sections with the third being largely a recap of the first. The middle section is the most interesting with some very well done counterpoint. And can you explain the reference to "Inchoatam"?

I feel that you are developing a certain sound or style which I think composers tend to do over time unless they are imitating another work. This is a good thing I think.  You are getting some good sounds from the Sonatina Orchestra also.

This is well done, thank your for posting!

Hi Ali,

I found much to like in your Wind Trio (as Ingo said, your Brass Trio version of the work gave a Track Not Found error). It seems to be based on a contrast between legato lines in counterpoint, and stark chordal interjections (for lack of a better word) that interrupt the forward motion. The lines seemed to be based on whole tone scales. I found the abrupt ending of each movement a bit disconcerting - the endings didn't seem to be prepared at all (except at the end of the 3rd movement), and then they were sharply cut off. I suspect the cutting off effect is due to your notation software - you mention MuseScore, and the instrumental sounds do sound as if they are soundfont based. Ingo mentioned that the lines sound rather mechanical and that would make sense if you were using MuseScore for playback. But you also mention Sonatina and Cakewalk, and I wonder what the roles of the DAW, VST, and notation software were in preparing the rendering.

I am also curious about the significance of "Inchoatam" in the title. "Inchoate" in English means rudimentary, not fully developed - is that the meaning here? (Basically, a work in progress?)

Altogether I found this a lot more interesting than some of your other work and I agree with Ingo that you seem to be developing a personal style here. Good work and thank you for sharing it.

Hi Liz,

I appreciate your continuing interest and am sorry I could not pay attention to your own

works due to the hot weather here on the Aegean coast.  Nevertheless it has become an

urgent need to write answers as I found out that the address to my old version of Brass Trio

got mixed with the new Cakewalk version.

The correct Brass Trio - Inchoatam is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-852737091/brass-trio

The key to the work lies in the meaning of Inchoatam, incomplete in Latin.
Doing incomplete works is a well established genre(?) in art.  Specially

visual arts.  Works of Michelangelo Slaves, Henry Moore and others can be found

on the internet.  The idea is to do something incomplete which will be complete when

perceived.

Given the above, Inchoatam is a single movement piece with three sub pieces.

So the endings of the first two movements had to be abrupt, may be ending in space..

The first version of mp3 for Brass Trio was a MIDI MuseSCORE recording.  Maybe

somehow you ended up listening that one.

But also there are some material generated with computer in this work.  They may

also sound mechanical.  That is related to the far allusion to the relation of human

and computers, none of which is complete without the other.

Your technical analysis of my work is precise.  Thank you for your kind attention.

Is this an emerging personal style? I do not know...  Mixing computer generation with

manual composition is... Yes, in that sense...  Expression of a fundamental line of idea

is a main trend in my work.

I greatly appreciate your interest and time together with many pleasing kind comments of you.

I will be much more scrutinizing your works soon.

Thanks a lot.

Ali

Ingo Lee said:

Hi Ali, I listened to your Wind Trio and it seems you have deleted your Brass Trio. I don't know if you wanted us to compare the two but I understand Gav's desire to limit our posts here. Perhaps you can post the Brass Trio later and refer to this piece for a comparison.

This piece is spare and modern but tonal sounding with somewhat mechanical sounding lines without much dissonance. The feeling is somber but not really a lament, it has a serious purposeful motion to it.  It has three sections with the third being largely a recap of the first. The middle section is the most interesting with some very well done counterpoint. And can you explain the reference to "Inchoatam"?

I feel that you are developing a certain sound or style which I think composers tend to do over time unless they are imitating another work. This is a good thing I think.  You are getting some good sounds from the Sonatina Orchestra also.

This is well done, thank your for posting!

The correct Brass Trio - Inchoatam is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-852737091/brass-trio

I do prefer the brass version of your piece Ali. It is possible that the music is better suited to brass but it could also be that the brass library is of better quality or maybe it's just my personal preference it is hard for me to say.

The concept of Inchoatam is very interesting, I had never thought of it that way.  You can certainly view art and life itself as being  incomplete, very true!

Thank you Ingo,

The movement titles are: Abstraction, Perception and Metacognition...

As you mentioned these are part of our daily life human cognition...

I appreciate.

Ali

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service