Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hollywood strings, Symphobia, LA scoring strings... We can go on forever. EWQL Hollywood strings have made it up the food chain being the "top dog" in the industry of VST's. Why is this? Is it primarily sample recording? Or can it be the control of velocity at your fingertips? What are some opinions of the best! 

Views: 16324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing the just released Spitfire Mural library [mentioned above]. I particularly like the manufacturer's description:

Mural offers a grand 60 piece string band (16,14,12,10,8) but is recorded and performed in such a way as to provide you with ultimate detail. It is not an epic dirgy sludge of trailer-making strings. It is pure in its detail and beauty and is designed to encourage and inspire you to write better orchestral music for your canon.

My comment: most of those other string libraries sound too instantly Hans Zimmer to me. I want to be able to come close to an honest well recorded Symphonic sound, appropriate for Brahms, etc. as well as anything else.

Anything else out there do this as well or better?

Nice to meet you too, Raymond. As you can guess I mostly use these libraries for mockups, to be replaced by real instrumentalists. But sometimes I need them for their own sake. I just went ahead and bought the Mural library - and also Spitfire's new French Horn library. I'm downloading them now. I'll let you know what I think.

Well, to me it's about combining the best you can get, I've tested most libraries but at the end the ones I've kept are Lass, SF Mural and Berlin Strings. The best ones and the ones I've liked the most are Berlin strings (bow sounds on) and Spitfire Mural (only tried Mural Volume one though, must be even better with Vol2), they're the most detailed I've ever heard, great even with little CC morphing, I've also noticed that, if film/realism is what you seek, most of the Spitfire audio stuff have the best results, their brass are incredible but I'm not sure if they have all the woods though, still their flute consort is great. Still as I was saying mixing and layering are probably the best at the end...

Excuse an uninformed question: what is CC morphing? I absolutely agree about the spitfire and LASS-stuff, really good and love the clean, direct feel of the sound. I also found cinematic strings quite great for slower parts and really enjoy the GUI. Hollywood strings is a pretty good library as well.. Have yet to try out Berlin strings.

Spitfire has a beautiful assortment of string libraries at really good prices. Berlin Strings is one of the best I've heard altogether but is priced at $840 euros, which equates to about $940 USD.... great sounding library, one of my favorite composers uses it and has a few vids where he goes into detail about the library... his name Is Blakus (Blake Robinson). But, if you're looking for a nice ensemble of strings at a fair price, it's hard to beat what Spitfire has to offer... not only Mural, but their Sable strings are amazing sounding for small chamber strings... 

I'm using Spitfire BML strings mostly. I have LASS but I don't use it because the strings are so OUT OF TUNE. [You play a note and it takes a second for the string players to settle on a single pitch]. This is NOT real world [except for maybe high school orchestras]. For film scoring and concert music recordings, we would never allow such shoddy playing. Spitfire is better here.

As for Berlin, I'm not familiar with it, but I need  libraries that are dry to start with, or, as Spitfire, has different mic samplings from near to various room settings that I can choose. I can't use an out of the box "cinematic" sounding library, as I can add "cinematic" to a drier library, but I can't take it off if it already comes that way [a problem I think with Cinesamples].

This is an old thread where I don't know why people are responding but here's my thoughts:

LASS very detailed, you can get wonderful results but takes a lot of work and can sound quite harsh without proper reverb and eq.
Spitfire wonderful sound but has the most baked in reverb recorded at Air studios which is basically a church. Can be more difficult to combine with other libraries due to this.
Cinesamples can sound very dry, great shorts and soaring in your face strings but lacks con sordino for softer background passages. Sounds big but no division like LASS.
Hollywood Strings resorce heavy but beautiful and perhaps East West's best library.
Berlin great mic positions, easy to use, detailed, best sounding in my opinion and versatile becoming the new standard.
VSL needs MIRx for ease of use, recorded dry, no mic positions, and difficult to use compared to the other libraries.
Cinesamples doesn't really have this issue. It has three mic positions and you can cut off the reverb and adjust the releases forming a very dry sound. Sony only has a 1.5 ish reverb tail anyways compared to the 2.5 to 3 on Spitfire's Air Studios. CineStrings is good for in your face, soaring melodies and great shorts that cut through the mix.

Jonathan Sacks said:

I'm using Spitfire BML strings mostly. I have LASS but I don't use it because the strings are so OUT OF TUNE. [You play a note and it takes a second for the string players to settle on a single pitch]. This is NOT real world [except for maybe high school orchestras]. For film scoring and concert music recordings, we would never allow such shoddy playing. Spitfire is better here.

As for Berlin, I'm not familiar with it, but I need  libraries that are dry to start with, or, as Spitfire, has different mic samplings from near to various room settings that I can choose. I can't use an out of the box "cinematic" sounding library, as I can add "cinematic" to a drier library, but I can't take it off if it already comes that way [a problem I think with Cinesamples].

Yeah, the problem with Spitfire audio stuff is that it all works better with other spitfire audio stuff, Although I don't mind that, that much, most of their stuff is great, I especially like their percussion, it has tons of round robin and dynamics ranges (which is usually the weakness in some other libraries, like cinesamples' cineperc, which has too few dynamics recorded, making them work best for loud passages). 

by the way, Johannes Bergcrantz, when I mentioned Dynamic morphing I just meant to change CC1 (with mouse or modwheel) which is usually used nowadays to go smoothly(crossfade) from one dynamic range to another.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service