Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

What say you? I'd like a program that can work well with my DAW. PC. Thanks, doug

Views: 8905

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finale: Plus side: it can do anything you want it to do. The program's capacity for notation seems literally infinite. Down sides: #1: Keyboard shortcuts are unintuitive, must be memorized even for simple things (on a Macintosh - example: Option-4 for an 8th note - why not just the 8 key?). #2: It is a very difficult program to work with once you start trying to do something even moderately different (example: cross staff beaming) - you will spend hours figuring your issue out. #3: sound output is terrible, even with the Garritan sound samples added a few years ago (on some level I think they are worse than the Apple Quicktime libraries they previously relied on, in that the Apple libraries were clear and understandable, while the Garritan samples are murky and full of overtones which obscure the compositions).

You can edit just about any note entry key bindings to your liking. On PC you can, anyway. :)

The first I did when switching from Finale 2003 to 2007 all that time ago was completely remapping the shortcuts to match the ones from the old version. It was workable, whereas the 2007 version was nothing short of awful.

Gav Brown said:

Keyboard shortcuts are unintuitive, must be memorized even for simple things (on a Macintosh - example: Option-4 for an 8th note - why not just the 8 key?)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service