Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Dear friends,

It's been a while... My mother is slowly passing away (90 years) with cancer. So I've been busy with caring tasks and supporting her during these days. To distract a bit from this sad occupation, I reworked in detail an earlier mock-up with the simplest tools: 3 VSL instruments, the Vienna Suite convolution (Schubert Saal) and tail reverb. That's all.

This is a sonic pre-study for a new piece (for viola, cello and flute) that comes next.

Beethoven, Serenata Op25, Menuet

Have a good listen!

Jos

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never I would assume, that these are digitally rendered sounds! So natural - very good, Jos!  But I also never had guessed that this is from Beethoven ... sounds more like very early Haydn or so ... I am juast about to present here another piece from Beethoven from 1797 which is quite different :-)

Jos, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Thoughts and prayers go out to you in dealing with this most difficult time. I recently lost my father. It was a harrowing time.

Most of the time I think simple in a mix is best. I think I read elsewhere that you use Notion? You seem to have been at this for a long time. Your experience in relaying this music in such a historically accurate way deserves much more than a second look and listen. I  enjoyed this ! Hopefully I can learn a thing or two from listening here!

Yes, Timothy, Iv' been a pretty longtime user of Notion. However, this piece was only a mock-up in my DAW, Notion was not involved. (I had a printed original Beethoven score.) When I compose a piece, I always do it with the help of Notion. I prepare a detailed score (almost fit to be performed by a live orchestra). Afterwards, I export every single note and some of the CC's into Studio One (my DAW) where it is elaborate in great detail as to note accuracy, liveliness, acoustics and human performance. I don't put so many effort in the Notion performance, it's only to have a visual presentation of what I'm doing and to print out the score and parts later. I could never work only in a DAW, as many composers do nowadays: I have to see the orchestral parts to work with at one glance... Sometimes I adapt the Notion score to the virtual performance (little corrections, orchestration improvements...).

Thanks again for your interest,

Jos

Thank you for this Jos, 

Interesting the way you work. I also use Studio One in addition to other programs. My only use for Notion has been to print  a graphic representation of work in Studio One. It might be fun to transfer a score from one of the masters to mix.

I  heard prior issues concerning the CC control in Notion. I was not under the impression this was a major problem. I'm  a hobbyist composer, so maybe my needs are much less demanding.

Thank you for sharing this!

My sincere condolences to you during this trying time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service