Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Link is HERE

If you fill out a questionnaire Spitfire says they will send you a free download for a 33 piece orchestra.

Alternately you may purchase the library for 49.00 right away.

Of course this is a leader to see if you might be interested in stepping up to their larger libraries. You are under no obligation to purchase more.

The discover library is 200mb. Restrictions include no solo instruments and less articulations than the core version.  Works in any DAW.

Views: 217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good luck with it Michael. In some ways living there sounds like a dream! The falling debris part would also concern me though. I have Amish neighbors and let me tell you that's interesting sometimes. Not really in the woods here, though I have trees all around. The "country" would be a more apt description. Maybe a "rural settlement" fits better.  It's a cul de sac with people living all along it , me being one of those. The areal view just looks like a clump of trees out in the middle of expansive corn and hay fields dotted here and there by a house or Amish school every now and then. " Pennsylvania Dutch" country. Living out there where you do would be nice because I like seclusion which I don't often feel when one of my neighbors decides to do some skid loader work next door or fire up the weed wacker. Not as bad as it seems though. Nice to sit outside in the evening on the porch and watch the fire flys or watch one of the Amish ride down my road on a horse. They can't drive cars but apparently tractors are allowed so one neighbor transports him, his wife and two kids on the tractor to their mom's house.Looks kinda funny going down the road.

It took me maybe two weeks to get my link for the free download from Spitfire. Hopefully they won't close the offer any time soon. I think you'll find it a nice addition to your current libraries.

Actually, I did the questionnaire too, so I have to wait two weeks. But for a retiree, two weeks goes by so fast you wonder where the heck it went. Funny how it took forever when I was working. Relativity at work, I guess.

Believe it or not, I am in between the two largest cities in Maine, but this is the most heavily forested state in the nation. 90% covered by trees. I too occasionally hear a chain saw going, or the local yokels on their dirt bikes or snowmobiles. But then I get them back with my little Sears Lawn Vac, which chops up the leaves so we can use them for compost. Trouble is, we have so much compost now we can't use it all. I'm considering having a landscaping service do them this autumn, not because I can't do the work anymore; hell, I still go 20 feet up on a ladder to paint the house. It's that we don't have anymore space to put them, even with 1.3 acres. I'm telling you, those trees are relentless. they're laughing at us the whole time we're out there raking...

Hi Timothy,

I appreciate your help.  Just an other question...

How much space does it use on the disk?  What are the file sizes?

Thanks a lot.

Ali

Timothy Smith said:

Hi Ali,

BBCSO is a vst that will insert in Cakewalk ( or any DAW that handles vst ) as an instrument track. You can point the files to where ever you want them to be located. In my case, this was a separate drive. 

There are smaller groups of all instrument types, brass, woodwinds, etc. Each group has different articulations which surprised me this being a starter library. All instruments are positioned in the proper places on the "stage" The vst has a collective reverb than may be increased or decreased. 

A few guys at Cakewalk made template for the orchestra. I have not attempted to download it yet. You may check this out HERE.  One of those guys had the full orchestra and he stripped the template down for this version of it as I am understanding it.

Dane- I guess we all have different ways of working. I only suggested using different  libraries from different makers because that's basically what I have :) For my way of working It doesn't seem difficult. I would simply throw several into the same project and mix them together, I know this is a slight over simplification but should not be too awfully difficult IMHO.

If one only wants the canned Vienna "sound", which is quite good, then by all means you might as well stick with it. It sounds realistic, you don't need worry about positions or sound space....so yeah, if it works for you I'm not attempting to change your mind :)

Interesting Michael, 

Time seems to go at different speeds in different times! I had no idea there were so many trees in that part of the US. I can sort of relate since I have many trees. Not in the actual deep woods though.

michael diemer said:

Actually, I did the questionnaire too, so I have to wait two weeks. But for a retiree, two weeks goes by so fast you wonder where the heck it went. Funny how it took forever when I was working. Relativity at work, I guess.

Believe it or not, I am in between the two largest cities in Maine, but this is the most heavily forested state in the nation. 90% covered by trees. I too occasionally hear a chain saw going, or the local yokels on their dirt bikes or snowmobiles. But then I get them back with my little Sears Lawn Vac, which chops up the leaves so we can use them for compost. Trouble is, we have so much compost now we can't use it all. I'm considering having a landscaping service do them this autumn, not because I can't do the work anymore; hell, I still go 20 feet up on a ladder to paint the house. It's that we don't have anymore space to put them, even with 1.3 acres. I'm telling you, those trees are relentless. they're laughing at us the whole time we're out there raking...

Ali The file size for Discover is 200mb. CORE is 23gb. 

I need to make a correction about the file size of Professional. It's 600gb. Wow. This is after they did some creative down sizing (compression). It is initially 1.3 TB.

If you get that one I think you would be better off getting the hard drive for a little extra.

I found THIS link for different DAW software including Cakewalk if you still use it. LINK HERE

A few other quick points

- You can register BBC orchestra on two computers ( not sure if two buds could get together on this.....just a thought. They might need to both be your computer.)

-30% educational discount

Very likely other discounts in the future for those lloking to upgrade to CORE or Professional.

Ali Riza SARAL said:

Hi Timothy,

I appreciate your help.  Just an other question...

How much space does it use on the disk?  What are the file sizes?

Thanks a lot.

Ali

Timothy Smith said:

Hi Ali,

BBCSO is a vst that will insert in Cakewalk ( or any DAW that handles vst ) as an instrument track. You can point the files to where ever you want them to be located. In my case, this was a separate drive. 

There are smaller groups of all instrument types, brass, woodwinds, etc. Each group has different articulations which surprised me this being a starter library. All instruments are positioned in the proper places on the "stage" The vst has a collective reverb than may be increased or decreased. 

A few guys at Cakewalk made template for the orchestra. I have not attempted to download it yet. You may check this out HERE.  One of those guys had the full orchestra and he stripped the template down for this version of it as I am understanding it.

Dane- I guess we all have different ways of working. I only suggested using different  libraries from different makers because that's basically what I have :) For my way of working It doesn't seem difficult. I would simply throw several into the same project and mix them together, I know this is a slight over simplification but should not be too awfully difficult IMHO.

If one only wants the canned Vienna "sound", which is quite good, then by all means you might as well stick with it. It sounds realistic, you don't need worry about positions or sound space....so yeah, if it works for you I'm not attempting to change your mind :)

NOT impressed with Spitfire's customer service/support at all.

I won't be buying their product.

Having got this freebie, I had a simple technical query that isn't addressed in the manual. What CC do I use to control the velocity (as distinct from the volume control which appears as standard - CC7)? The manual doesn't tell me how to assign one. The manual is confusing - though titled for the freebie "Discover" it seems to contain much from higher graded stuff so what's shown doesn't match what I can see in the VSTi panel on my screen.

I initially asked in the forum over a week ago. No reply. So 3 days ago I "submitted a request". Still nothing.

I'm damned sure I'm not going to spend money with this shower if this is the support I get.

NO excuse.

Compare it with VSL where I get a reply next day or same day if I write before mid afternoon.

The sounds are quite good but the freebie collection isn't useful. Strings ok; woodwinds à3, brass à3 except horns à4. Not useful for something delicate. Not being able to control the velocity makes it worse.

Shame. The BBCSO is one of the finest in the world. It can afford to be, publicly funded.

Hope others have better luck.

Sorry to hear of your experiences Dane. I can understand the frustration in not getting a response from them.

I think Reaper has a midi data function that will show a readout of all midi data (event list). From there it should only be a matter of hitting the key to see the cc number. At least, I know Cakewalk has this. Reaper being considered a "programmer's DAW" IMO should have it as well. Hope this helps.

I have been playing with  BBCSO Discovery some. Used it in my last YouTube thing " Mothman". I was more impressed than I thought I would be. I haven't bothered with the templates yet. Two different things sort of tied in for me. I had Plugin Guru's UNIFY which on the surface seemed sort of like a redundancy in a DAW, but it's really cool. John wrote  settings for BBCSO for it which I loaded. He wrote one for each of the sections mapped to instrument place on the keyboard. It was only a matter of loading those presets to make some decent things using it. Since John sells paks for existing instruments I look for him to maybe offer the CORE and full versions at a later date and probably for a cost......but maybe not. I hope he will add it as included in the next UNIFY update. I am teetering on maybe buying BBCSO CORE but am still undecided since I'm comparing other libraries.

The Orchestra just went on a summer sale at best service down from 299.00 to 199.00 or it can be bought directly from Sonoscore HERE. Knowing you, I'm thinking you might not like it because it has a lot of arpeggios in it. TBH they are all quite nice. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Looks like a nice tool in the box, but I'm not made of money either and BBCSO CORE looks very tempting even though it doesn't include all of that.

Other reasons for maybe buying The Orchestra for some might be that it qualifies for the Kontakt crossgrade from free to full for 249.00. This is regularly 299.00. The footprint is only around 6-7gb which would work nicely for those concerned about having enough room for a library. Also upgrading eventually to Orchestra "complete" from The Orchestra is less following this path. IOW If I buy Orchestra Complete it's 399.00. If I buy Orchestra now for 199.00 on this sale and then pay 129.00 for the crossgrade I have saved a significant amount of money. 330 .vs 399.00

But as I say, it is very arpeggio centric though instruments can be played as solo by hand like any other. I'm guessing this won't appeal to you. They are the same company that made Action Strings for Komplete.

Choices choices choices :)

I also got the Discover version. I am using only the trombones in a few places in my current project, where their power cuts through the mix better than my solo trombones (I tend to favor the solo versions of winds). Two observations:

There is so much reverb that it's not going to be possible to use this library very much, as the instruments will have more reverb than my others. And there appears to be no way to remove it, it's baked-in.

As Dane pointed out, it is a mystery to me how one controls the volume. I tried using CC 1, 7 and 11. It does not respond to any of them, even when I tried the "midi learn" function. It's not a problem with the trombones I'm using, since power is what I need in those spots, and power is what they got, albeit uncontrollable. and if the support is a s bad as Dane experienced, it doesn't make me anxious to spring for the Core version.

Michael, do you mean reverb on the samples when the reverb in the plugin is completely removed via the plugin?

I'll look more into the control issues. Maybe I can find something useful out. Not that I'm a genius. They say even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then.  I think I remember simply right clicking cc learn on the gui fader and using one of my midi controller knobs to do it. Maybe you're programming these changes? 

For anyone interested here is John ( SKiPy's )video on the setup he  made for BBCSO Discovery. I LOVE what he has done. This man really is a genius when it comes to sounds and plugins. Look at the 3:54 mark.

FYI- Spitfire is having a composer summer school. Info HERE.

I signed up. It's 18:00 BST which is something like 1pm here. 5 hours difference since I'm on EST US.

The class looks to be focusing on the composition/scoring elements. I'm looking at it for HOW they are doing this using their plugins.

The classes will also be recorded and probably on YouTube. The advantage to live is probably you can stream questions to them.

Hi, Timothy,

I had hoped to go to Dartington again this year but :( the event was cancelled. It's been good and useful. One has to submit some work to be selected for the small number of composer applicants. I don't count on getting over that hurdle but I have in the past.

This wretched covid thing!

Timothy Smith said:

FYI- Spitfire is having a composer summer school. Info HERE.

I signed up. It's 18:00 BST which is something like 1pm here. 5 hours difference since I'm on EST US.

The class looks to be focusing on the composition/scoring elements. I'm looking at it for HOW they are doing this using their plugins.

The classes will also be recorded and probably on YouTube. The advantage to live is probably you can stream questions to them.

Yes, it's a shame about Spitfire but as you can understand I wouldn’t want to shell out £1200 for the SSD only to find I can’t use it because there’s no support and the forum’s carp (typo). I tend to have ideas, jot them down and want to get on with things, not wait around until the inspiration dies.

Not that I have a spare £1200 lying around – it’s bad enough with house maintenance at the moment! – but it would have made a decent alternative library.

Timothy, if you’ll excuse my presumption I can understand your attraction to The Orchestra. I spent yesterday evening looking at the site. As many others these days it seems more geared to cinema aspirants and those who work close to tonality. I couldn’t find anything about the instruments and articulations on offer though.   All these companies are super-liberal with the hype but not the details of what you get.

The wild exaggerated claims always provoke my scepticism.

….“whose heart is our breakthrough Ensemble-Engine that empowers you to convert your ideas into music. Simple and incredibly fast.”

Um…isn’t that composing? Is this bunch trying to usurp my role? Now, why can’t it empower the ideas and I’ll do the converting!!?

“We found a way to revolutionise your way of composing complex orchestral music.”

Oh yes? Well, all the demos are tonal and hardly complex. Many propel forward on the strength of a drum beat, not harmonic rhythmic beat. So it seemed a grandiose claim. I asked myself how it might have helped Stravinsky with Le Sacre. Or Ravel with Daphis and Chloe. 

I listened to a good few demos and to be honest came out with listening fatigue. But that’s just me. No doubt many will find them appealing if they aren’t strong in orchestration. (I admit I’m far from strong in orchestration. But I accept it’s my job to try to find answers. Go back to scores to see what the bigwigs did.

And still no reply from Spitfire. I might as well spit on the fire for what this is worth. Byebye to that. Nothing I can use in the freebie – no legato strings.

But your drawing them to my attention is totally appreciated. I was ready to go for the Spitfire choir but alas.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service