Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

“Bach Arirang No. 2” - A Bach-inspired fugue based on Arirang theme

I have written a 3-voice fugue (fuga) based on the Korean traditional folk song, Arirang.  The subject of the fugue was taken from Arirang (a modernized version).  My goal was not necessarily to make the music sounds Bach-ish, but to imbue Bach’s spirit into a Korean traditional musical material.

Views: 247

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool piece! I love the development of the original melody into something quite complex and fantastic; it's really interesting to listen to the different motifs coming through the dense yet agile texture, expertly crafted. Being a string player, I think it would be fun to play, too. :-) I felt that the ending was slightly abrupt—there is so much great energy built up to that point, that the music seems to want a more expanded conclusion, perhaps longer/repeated final chord(s) or a strong, slowed-down re-statement of the theme. This is a wonderful work.

Thank you very much for your comments.  I will rethink about the ending part.  Actually, the portion of the subject was re-stated in bass in an augmented (X2) form.^^  However, I agree with you on that it might have been nicer if the entire subject is re-stated and if more expanded conclusion is included.  Cheers!

Jong Kim said:

Cool piece! I love the development of the original melody into something quite complex and fantastic; it's really interesting to listen to the different motifs coming through the dense yet agile texture, expertly crafted. Being a string player, I think it would be fun to play, too. :-) I felt that the ending was slightly abrupt—there is so much great energy built up to that point, that the music seems to want a more expanded conclusion, perhaps longer/repeated final chord(s) or a strong, slowed-down re-statement of the theme. This is a wonderful work.

I liked it! It's an interesting mix of syncopation, pentatonic / eastern sound, and baroque style, and these different elements are balanced well. The piece has a nice overall balance. The length seems right. Has good momentum throughout. Density is usually thick, but there are a few thin spots for contrast and relief. Overall, great job!

Thank you very much for listening and your comments!!!  Cheers!

Mike Leghorn said:

I liked it! It's an interesting mix of syncopation, pentatonic / eastern sound, and baroque style, and these different elements are balanced well. The piece has a nice overall balance. The length seems right. Has good momentum throughout. Density is usually thick, but there are a few thin spots for contrast and relief. Overall, great job!

Thank you very much for your comments and suggestions!!!  Cheers!

Jon Corelis said:

I too liked it, and thought the combination of traditional folk melody and baroque style was interesting.  But I found myself wondering if symphonic-style scoring was the most effective vehicle for it.  Maybe just three instruments, one for each voice, would clarify the interplay between the lines. Or rewrite for piano or orchestra (I assume rewrite because then you'd only have two hands for three voices.)  Or maybe score for small ensemble including both Western and traditional Korean instruments?

I'm with Jon here. But dont underestmate the piano player sir, we have been put under much worse than three voices. I thing there is even a 5 voice fugue in the WTC. So go for it :D

Thank you very much for your comments!  

SpyrusTheVirus(Spiros Makris) said:

I'm with Jon here. But dont underestmate the piano player sir, we have been put under much worse than three voices. I thing there is even a 5 voice fugue in the WTC. So go for it :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sign up info

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service