Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

As this forum's ending, I've set up a new forum if anyone's interested

http://composersforum.freeforums.net/

It seems this forum is going to end soon due to non-payment of fees - for which I cannot at all blame the owners. This isn't any kind of recrimination thread, just an attempt to sustain things and invitation to current members to step over to the new forum I've set up.

While it'd be sad for this forum to go, there's some silver linings. Ning has some definite problems innate to the website design - ignoring the lack of a complaint/warning system or solid moderation, there's no pinning of topics. So many useful resources vanish because no formalised method exists to collate them, and things are duplicated or spread around.

The new forum runs as almost every other online forum runs: easily navigable nested threads and boards. I've set up the bare bones and duplicated some of the popular topics from here, along with ones I think are useful. So everything related to violin can go into a single thread, and so on. The hundreds or thousands of words some of us have expended on trying to explain things no longer need be lost when they drop off the front page - I will file them, meticulously, for reference.

Admin duties would be mine, a couple of moderator spots for anyone willing, and all it lacks is content. It may never reach the critical mass necessary, but I sincerely invite everyone - those I agree with and those I don't - to come over, perhaps repost content you think is useful or that you're proud of, and begin discussion. If things pick up, I'll work on sorting out things like censored words, warning procedures etc.

I'm sure there's some cynicism but I assure you - all I want to do is talk about music. I'm not trying to set up my own gulag. If you like music too, we're cool.

http://composersforum.freeforums.net/

Views: 1590

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I don't need tips from you Bob. I do need an explanation as to why you think my earlier post had anything to do with the competition though. You have presumed a lot about me in your first response to me above - care to explain how you know?

I have long since shrugged my shoulders over the competition debacle and have accepted that I did not make enough of a distinction in the premise for it, but hey, why should that bother someone who will dredge up past antagonism in order to avoid admittance of errors in judgement of character. I'd have thought that the intention in my post was clear enough, your reading of it betrays a lot about you.

I'd like to say that you have a great day, but as you've ruined mine, I wont.

Bob Morabito said:

Mike-- its getting impossible to tell you and Dave apart.

You also have a GREAT day:)

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

PS Just a tip--when you want someone to answer a question, its better not to throw a Dave Dexter ™️ cursing tantrum like you just did. You lose respect that way..and the chances are REALLY good you wont get your questions answered.

Bob M,

What exactly do you disagree with?

Why on earth are you bringing up a failed competition in your post to me. Did I mention it? Please answer those two questions if you have any decency.

You have now really fucked me off. I admitted the error of my ways in BobPs' poor notation thread and yet you drag this up in reference to my post above. I shall await your reply before I decide if you are one of those extra special cunts that stir up old trouble to deflect any request for a straight answer. The competition failed, get over it, I have because I'm big enough to admit a mistake.

I'd like to say that you have a great day, but as you've ruined mine, I wont.

No problem Mike--my day is going really good, thanks, and I still hope you too have a GREAT day, and it gets better. With the weekend coming up, I hope youre doing better then.

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Of course Bob you wont curse, you don't need to. I now know what you are  thanks to your response, perhaps  some others will see it too....to quote another member, you really are a piece of work.

I believe what you wrote here is the truth. And I hope others here will read it and will understand what it means. Read below Dave's own words.

You have "been waiting for this place to fail or to be kicked off for ages". Yet you had the good graces and the confidence of the moderator here. You could have worked with him (Greg) in a constructive way that would have brought the forum to a better place. That is probably what Greg thought you were doing and is why he supported you. What Greg didn't see was that you could never be satisfied with a forum you can't more fully control. The new forum... you "want it to work". Therefore nobody can go in there and call names, like you have done here to so many people. You knew that the insults you used here would be destructive to the forum. That's why you won't allow them in your forum. The "c" word may be a term of endearment in Australia, may be "just another word for client" according to Mike Hewer, and may represent freedom of expression to Socrates. But that's not why you used it. You used it to offend and to accelerate this forum's demise. Why? Because, quoting you, "it's never been the kind of atmosphere [you] were hoping for".

It wasn't what YOU wanted, so it had to go.

Dave Dexter said:

Because it has all the infrastructure needed to avoid "combatants". This forum doesn't. My mentality is different over there, I want it to work. I've been waiting for this place to fail or to be kicked off for ages, since trolling and thread derailment became regular I suppose, so I stopped really caring a while back. Bar a few good eggs (most of whom have gratifyingly joined already) it's never been the kind of atmosphere I was hoping for. You're welcome to be a mod, if you're not sure I could sustain a clean slate, but I believe I could. I offered Mike modship as well, need to get on that.

Youre right Mike..SHAME on me for sincerely wishing you a good day, in spite of your cursing tantrum, and trying to provoke a huge disagreement here...my bad.

Unreal

Thanksk Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

and now an interlude....all critique is welcome apart from Morabitos'

Attachments:

Are you an idiot, Joseph? Because I think you might be an idiot. The new forum has censored words because I wanted to do it right. You'd rather believe there's some ulterior motive than me being capable of doing something right, I'm sure, but I'm not worried about being called a cunt. If someone wants to call me a cunt, there's my twitter or youtube or I imagine my gmail is still floating somewhere in the nets. I don't need to create a sterile environment where it's impossible to call me a cunt because I'm not that impossibly fragile; I'd like to create an environment where people like OO, or Roger (sorry RS, I'm not trying to spar) can't derail topics and where there is a clear system in place to report trolls.

You honestly think this is the consummation of some scheme to end the forum? Whilst also spending time posting music and offering advice and feedback that would all be lost if the forum ended? You're a fucking moron, aren't you Joseph.

Joseph Harry said:

I believe what you wrote here is the truth. And I hope others here will read it and will understand what it means.

You have "been waiting for this place to fail or to be kicked off for ages". Yet you had the good graces and the confidence of the moderator here. You could have worked with him (Greg) in a constructive way that would have brought the forum to a better place. That is probably what Greg thought you were doing and is why he supported you. What Greg didn't see was that you could never be satisfied with a forum you can't more fully control. The new forum... you "want it to work". Therefore nobody cannot go in there and call you names, like you have done here to so many people. You knew that the insults you used here would be destructive to the forum. That's why you won't allow them in your forum. The "c" word may be a term of endearment in Australia, may be "just another word for client" according to Mike Hewer, and may represent freedom of expression to Socrates. But that's not why you used it. You used it to offend and to accelerate this forum's demise. Why? Because, quoting you, "it's never been the kind of atmosphere [you] were hoping for".

It wasn't what YOU wanted, so it had to go.

This is the music I play on loop as I plot to destroy forums.

EDIT: It could just as easily be the music that plays as Bob selects his bib for the day

Mike Hewer said:

and now an interlude....all critique is welcome apart from Morabitos'

Attachments:

Y'all, I had planned on sitting the rest of this fiasco out. It really seems to be accomplishing

nothing. But, I would like to say that , at least to my way of thinking, I have never intentionally

tried to derail a thread. Some of you will most likely contest this, but even if that is how it seemed,

I'll bet there where at least as many times that I tried to bring the discussion back to the topic.

Sometimes detours occur in conversations and sometimes it is obvious that the main topic has

fizzled and lost any real momentum. In truth, it always takes more than one person to hi-jack or

derail a thread anyway. Think about it before you disagree.

So my friends, bury the hatchets, forgive and forget, and please stop trying to get even.

I don't remember who said it, but a long time ago some guy was quoted as saying,

Blessed are the Peacemakers.... and you reap what you sow.

Scholars may mock these words, but wisdom requires more than an education.

ps- there is a 96.5% probability that I will not zoom on over to dave's site,

though I do appreciate the invite. I will occasionally take a look at the site to

see just how functional it really is (and to see if the testosterone filled sandlot

has merely morphed and relocated.

There are, I'm sure, many individuals that might have some valuable input or

like to participate in a composer's forum, who are shall we say, less aggressive

and opinionated than the usual main characters here.

They (we) should never feel that they will be bullied, called names, belittled or

snubbed by the few and 'put in their place'. They need the right and privilege

to be who they are, and to grow and learn with regards to their music, from their own

unique perspective and from where they are in the process of their own understanding...

That is actually what I had envisioned this forum to be when I joined.

I'd like to thank each of you for your participation here, at every level. It has been nothing

less than an education. We can learn as much from pro's as we can from con's.

I once learned how to pick a lock from a pro-fessional con-vict  : >}

pss- happy harmonies and best- a- luck with your future musical endeavors.    Peace    RS

I have every intention of avoiding this!

roger stancill said:

I will occasionally take a look at the site to

see just how functional it really is (and to see if the testosterone filled sandlot

has merely morphed and relocated.

this.... is a vague word. I will assume that you mean 'sandlot' and all that it personifies.

Was it Marx or Stalin that said, 'free speech is for the uninformed'? (actually, I made that up  lol)

In the interest of progress, maybe it would help if people would submit a short list of what

attributes they think would promote and engender a functional forum.

Not that I am for a totally 'clinical' format at all.  Yawn !

How about a forum that thrives with creativity and one that promotes open discussion without

negating others viewpoints. Can free speech exist in a world with so much diversity without

condescension ?  The realistic answer is ... NO.  Therefore, it is up to those that know better

to facilitate and, in a patient and sophisticated way, control the 'this'. Are you smart, or are you wise?

Then again, why bother?, you are all that matters in the long run. Never mind.   RS

RSS

donate

© 2017   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service