Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi all!

This is my first discussion here on the forum since I've only been a member for a couple of days, and hope you'll be able to help me with this!

I use Sibelius 5 when I arrange (which is what I chiefly do at the moment) and right now I'm arranging a few things for SATB a cappella. Sibelius sound presets are quite bad when it comes to performance, especially when it comes to the vocal sounds built into the program. So far I've never used anything else but the sounds that it contains from the beginning, but the MIDI sound isn't very satisfying as you might understand.

I am quite unskilled when it comes to technical stuff but would really like to find a way to make my performances sound, more or less, like an actual choir, instead of the lousy MIDI sounds I have to use now. 

If you now what I can do to fix it (without spending a lot of money) I would REALLY appreciate the help. I feel like before posting something in the Music Dissection I'd like to be able to provide a performance of my pieces that give a somewhat pleasing rendition.

Thanks in advance!

Views: 180

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Axel! ( Are you from Sweden?)

You need to get some libraries to use as plugins with Sibelius

It can sound quite nice. I usually work in Sibelius and then export the midi to my DAW for further tweaking

To get an idea what is achievable with Sibelius only you might want to listen some of my pieces like e.g. "What a mess" and "Track a Star"

Good luck with your composing!

Hey Axel, this is my first post as well :-D

Sadly, there's not much you can do to 'fix' Sibelius' built in choral sound.  
Your best bet is to use a VST plugin to handle your choral playback like Toomas said.

Some options...

1. For 345 euros you can get East West "Symphonic Choirs" (30GB).  It has the standard latin choral syllables built-in  plus the flexibility to add your own words by spelling out the phonetics (major learning curve, but VERY FUN once you get the hang of it)    (Click: Symphonic Choirs Demo)
  2. Or go 'all in' for 690 euros and get "CineSamples Voxos" (25 GB) which handles legato phrases the best, also has extensive control of latin syllabes but doesn't have the option to insert your own words   (Click: Voxos Demo) 
  3. If this is a one time thing, and you're in a bind for time, then PM me separate links to each of your SATB  parts (in MIDI format).  Perhaps we can work something out since I own Voxos.

Hope that helps Axel!

Cheers,

Greg

Thank you both for your kind answers!

Toomas: Yes, I am from Sweden, glad you noticed! :-) I took a look at your page and the tracks you mentioned do sound good, even with the Sibelius sounds only. But that's symphonic sounds which I believe are much more developed than the vocal sounds. Any idea of what kind of library there is to use? And what is DAW? I'm kind of new at this...

Greg: Thanks for the specific recommendations! But as I'm currently a music student (in something we call "folkhögskola", kind of an educational step between high school and college) I feel like I might not have that kind of money to spend on this, especially since I'm already saving for a couple of other things (and of course, rents. Ugh.) At the same time I do not believe that this is a 'one time thing' so I could really use it, though I'm not craving to have it! :-)

Maybe you could help me by work on one of my parts just so that I can get an idea what it is about. It would really be appreciated!

Axel, I am not using the sibelius sounds. They are simply too bad. The pieces I mentioned are composed and played in sibelius but with other libraries such as EWQL and VSE. I just wanted to show that you can get reasonable result by working in Sibelius only. I.e. without using a DAW like Sonar, protools etc...

BTW. I'm also Swedish!

AH, now I get it! So where have you found these libraries you're talking about? Do you know any free versions available on the internet?

Toomas Erm said:

Axel, I am not using the sibelius sounds. They are simply too bad. The pieces I mentioned are composed and played in sibelius but with other libraries such as EWQL and VSE. I just wanted to show that you can get reasonable result by working in Sibelius only. I.e. without using a DAW like Sonar, protools etc...

BTW. I'm also Swedish!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service