Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I'm thinking of paying the $300, but am a bit leery because they aren't asking for composed instrumental music that I can see.  Lots more requests for Country, Hip Hop, SingerSongWriter, in short, more "popular" stuff.  It's a bit puzzling because many many movies have more serious composed music.

Views: 1193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good information!!!!!!

Ron Wasserman said:

Years ago I was sitting in my then A&R guys office at Interscope. I noticed a huge box filled with CDs in the corner with "Taxi" written on the box. He told me they send a tremendous amount of CDs out to all the labels etc... and no one really listens mainly because of time issues.

Hi ...

I am very suspicious about production libraries asking for money !!!

this is true of TAXI and BROADJAM ...

#1 - of course I may be wrong ...

#2 - plenty of SERIOUS production libraries where no investment whatsoever is requested ...

#3 - your ( as well as mine ) is NICHE music so you either you autopromote or you autopromote ...

#4 - same goes of course for radios, promoters, a&r asking for money ...

#5 - on the other hand you may find honest and serious publishers, at least I did ...

good luck

Taxi isn't a music library.

It functions as an agent/ tipsheet. They charge an upfront fee for providing information about who's looking for what.

It's a good idea as long as they keep a good reputation among the companies seeking music for not forwarding complete crap. 

Livio Guerra said:

Hi ...

I am very suspicious about production libraries asking for money !!!

this is true of TAXI and BROADJAM ...

#1 - of course I may be wrong ...

#2 - plenty of SERIOUS production libraries where no investment whatsoever is requested ...

#3 - your ( as well as mine ) is NICHE music so you either you autopromote or you autopromote ...

#4 - same goes of course for radios, promoters, a&r asking for money ...

#5 - on the other hand you may find honest and serious publishers, at least I did ...

good luck

There are some other similiar sites around and is hard to say, whether they are are "real" or just a scam.

Anyone ever heard about writertap.com? I've gotten in touch with them bit didn't sign anything so far. Subscription are around 190$ per year.

have you already submitted some songs and been accepted ?

if so, which songs ?

would help to better evaluate ...

The Pluto Deception said:

There are some other similiar sites around and is hard to say, whether they are are "real" or just a scam.

Anyone ever heard about writertap.com? I've gotten in touch with them bit didn't sign anything so far. Subscription are around 190$ per year.

No, I haven't submitted anything.  I have to pay the $300 first, and I don't think I will.

in fact I was answering to the query about writertap.com ...

TAXI is even worse ...

One thing I hate is a sentence I often find on those sites asking for money ... if you're serious about your music ... that immediately disqualifies the site in my eyes ...

I accept the fact that a composer must invest time and sometimes money ( after all you buy recording and mixing equipment and so on ... ) ...

But promotion is a different thing altogether ... I'm prepared to invest after I've seen results not before ...

Otherwise I may invest in self-promotion but directly ... and starting with tiny figures ...

Emily Miller Bond said:

No, I haven't submitted anything.  I have to pay the $300 first, and I don't think I will.

In the case of Taxi, what you are paying for is information on who is looking for what and also Taxi's supposed ability to have the music they submit listened to by those that matter. It is a bit of a long shot and you have to be lucky but, as I've said before, providing you have a large catalogue of broadcast quality pieces at the ready, it's not that bad a system. Sending off unsolicited CDs or links on your own is practically hopeless.

This business is all about having good contacts. If you have an agent or manager who is well connected, fine. If not it's a rocky road indeed.

Livio Guerra said:

in fact I was answering to the query about writertap.com ...

TAXI is even worse ...

One thing I hate is a sentence I often find on those sites asking for money ... if you're serious about your music ... that immediately disqualifies the site in my eyes ...

I accept the fact that a composer must invest time and sometimes money ( after all you buy recording and mixing equipment and so on ... ) ...

But promotion is a different thing altogether ... I'm prepared to invest after I've seen results not before ...

Otherwise I may invest in self-promotion but directly ... and starting with tiny figures ...

Emily Miller Bond said:

Good idea Emily !!!

Emily Miller Bond said:

This business is all about having good contacts. If you have an agent or manager who is well connected, fine. If not it's a rocky road indeed.

will individual agents or managers take commitments with instrumental music ( production music ) if the composer is not also a performers ( and performs often enough ) ???

especially, of course, if on a profit-share basis ???

up to now I've never found one ...

Following Emily Bond Query ...

radio airplay is another possible self-promotion tool, not so much for production music perhaps, but surely if you have easy-listening instrumentals ...

of course, there is a racket there ...

but ... experimenting with a site like TWEEWOO for instance should cost a few dollars ( if I understood well cost is 1 cent per track play ) ... anyhow this should be the order of magnitude, meaning with 10 $ you get 1000 plays ... if your track is available for sale it is easy to verify if the campaign works ...

I'm not doing that, but I might try it sometime ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

donate

© 2017   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service