Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

In the Fall of 2018, composers were asked to participate in a contest based on the idea of Animals. All Composers' Forum members are invited to listen to the entries and vote on the top 3. You can vote here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YTR7YV9

The voting is now open and the deadline to cast your vote is 12/16/18 at 5 pm EST. Show your fellow composers you care and let them know what you think of the works posted here!

Views: 800

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THE COMPOSERS REVEALED

Composer 00 is Edward Schaffer, with "Rats Above the Ceiling Tiles"
Composer 01 is Stephen Lines, with "Animals Contest Entry"
Composer 02 is Joan Gilmore, with "The Water Snake"
Composer 03 is Jordan Chua, with "A Yak Atop a Mountain" and "Mice in a Field of Clovers"
Composer 04 is Keith Kehrer, with "Amphibian"
Composer 05 is Nancy Tucker, with "Grasshopper's Holiday"
Composer 06 is George Abbott, with "Bulldog Boogie Turnover" and "My Red Irish Setter"
Composer 07 is Daniel Krausz, with "A Squirrel's Life"
Composer 08 is Graeme Helliwell, with "Deep Down, Where the Big Fish Swim"
Composer 09 is Harold Bussy, with "Butterflies"
Composer 10 is Hayden McGowan, with "Hummingbird Etude"
Composer 11 is Darlene Hunt, with "The Migration"
Composer 12 is Ingo Lee, with "Flamingo Parade" and "The Last Buffalo"

Next: The Winners

THE WINNERS

Voters were asked to vote their #1, #2, and #3 choices. For each #1 vote, the composer received 3 points, for each #2 vote, 2 points, and for each #3 vote, 1 point. Highest number of points wins!

FIRST PLACE: Composer 05, Nancy Tucker, "Grasshopper's Holiday" - received 29 points
SECOND PLACE: Composer 07, Daniel Krausz, "A Squirrel's Life" - received 24 points
THIRD PLACE: Composer 01, Stephen Lines, "Animals Contest Entry" - received 18 points

Other votes:

Composer 10, Hayden McGowan, "Hummingbird Etude" - received 13 points
Composer 08, Graeme Helliwell, "Deep Down, Where the Big Fish Swim" - received 10 points
Composer 03, Jordan Chua, "A Yak Atop a Mountain" - received 7 points
Composer 03, Jordan Chua, "Mice in a Field of Clovers" received 7 points
Composer 04, Keith Kehrer, "Amphibian" - received 7 points
Composer 02, Joan Gilmore, "The Water Snake" - received 6 points
Composer 06, George Abbott, "My Red Irish Setter" - received 6 points
Composer 06, George Abbott, "Bulldog Boogie Turnover" - received 5 points
Composer 11, Darlene Hunt, "The Migration" - received 3 points
Composer 12, Ingo Lee, "The Last Buffalo" - received 3 points
Composer 00, Edward Schaffer, "Rats Above the Ceiling Tiles" - received 2 points
Composer 12, Ingo Lee, "Flamingo Parade" - received 2 points
Composer 09, Harold Bussy, "Butterflies" - no points

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all for sharing your work with us by participating in the contest. First, Second, and Third Place Winners will be receiving a mail from me about how to collect your prize, "Animals" merchandise from the Forum Store!

Next: Comments left by voters and results of voting in the "Fun" categories (which did not count towards the totals above)

COMMENTS/"FUN" CATEGORIES VOTING RESULTS

These are the comments left by voters, as well as the votes in the "Fun" Categories - these did not count towards the totals of who won.

Composer 00, Edward Schaffer, "Rats Above the Ceiling Tiles" no comments, (this composer accidentally left off of the "fun category" section, sorry, and watch for a mail from me)

Composer 01, Stephen Lines, "Animals Contest Entry" (voted for you for #1: "Being very interested in orchestration I felt this had the best full sound and very strong orchestration and melody"), (voted for you for #2: "I loved the use of all different animalistic sounds written for each voice of the ensemble - different from all the other entries in this respect."), (voted for you for #3: "A large ensemble describing the life of a little squirrel - not easy to do but achieved quite well."), (3 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most melodious," 2 votes for "Best orchestration," 4 votes for "Most climactic," 5 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic")

Composer 02, Joan Gilmore, "The Water Snake" no comments, (3 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Best orchestration")

Composer 03, Jordan Chua, "A Yak Atop a Mountain" no comments, (1 vote for "Best orchestration," 2 votes for "Most climactic," 1 vote for "Most unusual interpretation of topic")

Composer 03, Jordan Chua, "Mice in a Field of Clovers" (voted for you for #1: "Very nice piece and very harmonious. Easy to listen to. Easy to imagine."), (3 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 3 votes for "Most melodious")

Composer 04, Keith Kehrer, "Amphibian" (voted for you for #3: "Not a classical composition at all but very imaginative in its format played by a group that had fun with the idea"), (3 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic")

Composer 05, Nancy Tucker, "Grasshopper's Holiday" (voted for you for #1: "A great piece capturing the spirit of the insect and descriptive use of technique and musical material."), (voted for you for #2: "Although only one instrument I could feel the joy of this piece its fun"), (voted for you for #2: "Grasshoppers holiday had me jumping around hillbilly fashion like a demented grasshopper would - good stuff!"), (2 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 5 votes for "Most melodious")

Composer 06, George Abbott, "Bulldog Boogie Turnover" no comments, (1 vote for "Most melodious," 1 vote for "Most climactic," 2 votes for "Most unusual interpretation of topic")

Composer 06, George Abbott, "My Red Irish Setter" no comments, (2 votes for "Most melodious," 2 votes for "Best orchestration," 1 vote for "Most climactic")

Composer 07, Daniel Krausz, "A Squirrel's Life" (voted for you for #1: "There are some great entries here and the choice was difficult to make. I voted No.1 (Squirrels' Life) because it's a good depiction - I can imagine the little devils wazzing around and having great fun together."), (voted for you for #3: "A large ensemble describing the life of a little squirrel - not easy to do but achieved quite well."), (6 votes for "Best orchestration," 3 votes for "Most climactic")

Composer 08, Graeme Helliwell, "Deep Down, Where the Big Fish Swim" no comments, (2 votes for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Best orchestration")

Composer 09, Harold Bussy, "Butterflies" no comments, (1 vote for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most unusual interpretation of topic")

Composer 10, Hayden McGowan, "Hummingbird Etude" (voted for you for #1: "This is the only score where any attention was paid to formatting. As a result in my mind the remainder are disqualified."), (1 vote for "Sounds most like topic," 1 vote for "Most melodious")

Composer 11, Darlene Hunt, "The Migration" no comments, (1 vote for "Most climactic")

Composer 12, Ingo Lee, "Flamingo Parade" no comments, (1 vote for "Most unusual interpretation of topic")

Composer 12, Ingo Lee, "The Last Buffalo" no comments, no "fun" category votes

HUGE Congratulations to all who entered the contest, with a special nod to the winners and to Gav who set it up and ran it all.

The music from everyone was really good and very impressive, and I enjoyed it all. And the contest, as usual was run so very well by Gav and he has all our thanks!

Its really nice to see and hear such good music being composed by members of this forum, and again CONGRATULATIONS to all!:)

Thanks Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

As usual a very well organised contest - well done Gav and thank you. There were some excellent entries and I enjoyed listening to them all...some very descriptive works nicely put together. Well done Nancy, loved your grasshoppers as too I thoroughly enjoyed the squirrels squirrelling around, Daniel.

Great fun.

Congratulations to everyone who entered, especially the winners. It was a fun competition to enter and I certainly enjoyed myself. I find it impossibly hard to write such a constrained piece and two minutes was a real challenge for me. Normally I like to spend time developing a mood and theme. With this, it was straight in and get on with it.

Thanks to Gav for being the perfect host.

Bob, do you ever submit entries to these irregular competitions?

Bob Morabito said:

HUGE Congratulations to all who entered the contest, with a special nod to the winners and to Gav who set it up and ran it all.

The music from everyone was really good and very impressive, and I enjoyed it all. And the contest, as usual was run so very well by Gav and he has all our thanks!

Its really nice to see and hear such good music being composed by members of this forum, and again CONGRATULATIONS to all!:)

I guess that's a no then!

Stephen Lines said:

Bob Morabito said:

I havent been on site much at all lately due to personal reasons so Im just seeing your post now, Stephen.

And no, I dont submit any works bur do very much support the competitions, and Gav's great job in putting them together.

Stephen Lines said:

Stephen Lines said:

Bob Morabito said:

Thanks for your reply Bob. Is there any reason for your not taking part, or is it a personal thing? Having listened to some of your music I would think you'd walk into first place!

Stephen

Bob Morabito said:

I havent been on site much at all lately due to personal reasons so Im just seeing your post now, Stephen.

And no, I dont submit any works bur do very much support the competitions, and Gav's great job in putting them together.

Stephen Lines said:

Stephen Lines said:

Bob Morabito said:

Thanks Stephen but composing schedules, illness, family matters, etc all prevent me from doing so.

and thank you for your kind words, but listening to all the entries, I feel if I DID enter, Id get my butt kicked, by all the great music being composed here..for sure!! :)

Its very impressive to be sure:)

Stephen Lines said:

Thanks for your reply Bob. Is there any reason for your not taking part, or is it a personal thing? Having listened to some of your music I would think you'd walk into first place!

Stephen

Bob Morabito said:

Stephen Lines said:

Stephen Lines said:

PS to Gav--

the beard looks GREAT!!!

Bob

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service