Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hey guys. Please check out this new piece I made. It's supposed to be about two armies battling. This wasn't written for a scene or anything, just to write something and experiment.

Please let me know what you liked and felt could be improved. Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/nmarnson215/the-call-of-battle

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Something nice is in there, I love the melodies, beats and general mood, 
too much boring repeat between 1:12 and 2:00.. I know that you are trying to simulate some tension and warming up before the battle erupts.. but I think there can a more noticeable variation in temper and levels.. I'm not saying this because there is no visuals, even if you did this for a motion picture (I know that you said you didn't) that part will also sound boring, much like copying and pasting bars.. and if this was mine I would add more sustained notes in the background (personal preference) I think this will add more tension to the scene..
I would prefer to add more reverb to the brass, I think it's too dry, and needs to melt with the other instruments..
The track is awesome..saying it's boring between 1:12 and 2:00 doesn't mean it's bad.. but it just needs some progressive adjustment from my personal humble opinion, and in the end the piece is yours and it's up to you to do whatever you like..
Good luck!

Thanks man. Yeah I felt the same way when I listened to it a little later, that part needs a little more something.

Mohammad W.Alsaad said:

Something nice is in there, I love the melodies, and general mood, 
too much boring repeat between 1:12 and 2:00.. I know that you are trying to simulate some tension and warming up before the battle erupts.. but I think there can a more noticeable variation in temper and levels.. I'm not saying this because there is no visuals, even if you did this for a motion picture (I know that you said you didn't) that part will also sound boring, much like copying and pasting bars.. and if this was mine I would add more sustained notes in the background (personal preference) I think this will add more tension to the scene..
I would prefer to add more reverb to the brass, I think it's too dry, and needs to melt with the other instruments..
The track is awesome..saying it's boring between 1:12 and 2:00 doesn't mean it's bad.. but it just needs some adjustment from my personal humble opinion, and in the end the piece is yours and it's up to you to do whatever you like..
Good luck!

It's one of the instruments in Expand in Pro Tools. They call it "Scary Glockenspiel". Thanks for the feedback.

Bob Porter said:

I enjoyed this. I know the title is The Call of Battle, but I'm not sure what is going on. I would like to here some actual battle. Some violent music might make it more interesting.

Also, what instrument is that that starts the repeating figure at the .41 mark?

Can you explain what can be learned from the Britten piece? I have not gone to music school to study music yet and it's hard for me to spot what is special about the piece. Thanks

Fredrick zinos said:

I like what you've done here. There is some excellent material that I think could be extended. Here is an example of Ben Britten's "War Requiem" that gets at the same issues. Much to learned from the Britten composition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGAzIIZRczw

Thanks for this info. I'll use it and listen to Britten's piece again to see what you mean.

Fredrick zinos said:

I think one thing that can be learned is the way Britten in this composition and in many others, uses instruments in very careful ways to product exactly the right effects. Notice the use of trumpets and trombones, the way the strings, particularly the basses add a certain gravitas to the sound. The use of timpani and percussion. The point being that even though the sound is massive, the composer writes for each instrument idiomatically and as if this were chamber music. Also notice the structure. The quite opening in which motivic elements are introduced, again almost as solo instruments and then "developed" so that there are truly terrifying moments in this piece. Also you might want to listen to Prokofiev Alexander Nevsky the part called "Battle on the Ice" the archtypical "battle music"

Overall, it is the care with which the individual parts are written and the structural integrity that gives Big pieces their ability to impact listeners and not sound like an indistinct blob of sound.

In the last analysis, what you take away from the Britten or the Prokofiev is what you will need to make your music better. I can't 'teach" you that, probably no one can, but your own creative instincts may.

WAR MUSIC! ;D Love filmic music depicting battles.. And death in a blaze of glory! Hail Odin!

Or just go plunder a monastery with soon decapitated defenseless monks during peaceful prayer. ;) The calm A Fluttering sunset sounds like the soundtrack to the sacking of Lindisfarne 792 AD. Not very glorious, but lucrative for the norwegians who where there :)

Your piece sounds very "metal" to me, You use the main riffs as they do in heavy metal. Nothing bad in that, it is war afterall. No constructive advice to give but it can be extended as mentioned by Zinos. More variation and maybe a part where dynamics rise to maximum level of bloodshed ;)

It is a fine filmic piece!

Call me Per, Fred. I only call myself Erik(c) when abroad. Because Per is hard to pronounce, but not write :)

Eric or Erik was a very common name in viking Scandinavia, btw.

That is some serious dyslexia, or as it is called in latin: "dyslexicum Norsenameus et grecus"

Yeah, the muddiness also bothered me. I tried taking out some bass in the EQ but then it sounds dead. Any quick tips on how to clean up the sound? Could it be that the synth instrumnets I'm using are not that good(I'm using Expand that comes with Pro Tools 9)? 

Raymond Kemp said:

Natanel,

To get back to talking about your work ;-)

I've added the widget to this discussion so as many more can listen while still here.

Am I wrong in thinking you have what you think is a triple tongued trumpet phrase. It's not so good.

The concept is fine but the mix is muddy. Nothing that can't be tweaked though.

Thanks for sharing.

-Ray  

OK I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Raymond Kemp said:

Natanel,
Using EQ to create room for all to exist does work but its a science dependent on so man variables although rather than taking bass out of the bass you should take the bass frequencies out of the instruments that don't need them. Use hi- pass filtering to unnecessary low frequencies including some in that bell like synth sound.

To add, neither me or anyone else can do anymore than point the direction. Moving forward its the training of your own ears in detecting the area with problems and following that in knowing how to fix them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service