Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hey, I'm new here and would like to have some feedback on a piece I wrote. I don't want to say too much about the thoughts behind it, but it should tell a story about Krampus and Saint Nicholas as the title states it. 

I hope you like it.

If you want to listen on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/kfan45/a-tale-of-krampus-and-saint-nicholas

Views: 28

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Beautiful soundtrack, many interesting events. First minute was a bit repetitive though but still developing. This music creates many images as I believe it is supposed to do, it is like a fairytale. Who were the guys in the title?

Well done.

Kjell

Thank you very much for the feedback, I'm glad to hear you had a story in your mind while listening to this. It actually derived from a fairytale. Krampus is a popular character in central europe and specifically in Austria, where I am from. It's a demon that punishes misbehaving children. Saint Nicholas on the other hand rewards the well-behaving children. You can google it if you feel like it - it's a popular tale.

Kjell Prytz said:

Beautiful soundtrack, many interesting events. First minute was a bit repetitive though but still developing. This music creates many images as I believe it is supposed to do, it is like a fairytale. Who were the guys in the title?

Well done.

Kjell

Excellent mix in the DAW. Great choice of art work for this.This would work well in a movie where there is increasing intensity in the scene. As stand alone music I thought the theme was too repetitive though I liked the buildup over the course of the track........and herein lies one of the key differences between movie music and stand alone works- Coupled with interesting video to build up the idea it's excellent. From a strictly listening perspective with no video it drags on for what would probably be a long time for most listeners with no changes.

The drum at around the 1:30 mark just doesn't feel right to me. It seems to be more of a distraction. In saying this I feel the need to offer an alternative and nothing in the percussion realm seems to fit. A cello playing in low ranges possibly?

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and to write this comment. I am very glad that you liked the mix because this is something I am currently struggling and experimenting with (as I'm truly a beginner). I chose the artwork half along the process and wrote the rest of the piece specifically wijth the artwork in mind. You are right that this could not be a standalone piece. Therefore it was meant as a soundtrack and is also tagged that way on Soundcloud. I wouldn't be confident in writing standalone music because I don't think my compositions are good enough for that. Also I really enjoy soundtrack music and love how they can emphasize - if not even carry - a story. 

The drum you are referring to was meant as a kind of heartbeat as the section where it occurs is the rather horrific one. I had "Krampus" in mind sneaking around a forest. However, it could have been more subtle or realized with another instrument in the lower range as you suggested.

Thank you very much again!

Timothy Smith said:

Excellent mix in the DAW. Great choice of art work for this.This would work well in a movie where there is increasing intensity in the scene. As stand alone music I thought the theme was too repetitive though I liked the buildup over the course of the track........and herein lies one of the key differences between movie music and stand alone works- Coupled with interesting video to build up the idea it's excellent. From a strictly listening perspective with no video it drags on for what would probably be a long time for most listeners with no changes.

The drum at around the 1:30 mark just doesn't feel right to me. It seems to be more of a distraction. In saying this I feel the need to offer an alternative and nothing in the percussion realm seems to fit. A cello playing in low ranges possibly?

Thanks for sharing!

You are most welcome Keno.We all have opinions. Music is subjective, so please take this all with a grain of salt. I to be as objective and supportive as I can be. I liked what you've done here!

Keno Kallinger said:

Thank you very much for taking the time to listen and to write this comment. I am very glad that you liked the mix because this is something I am currently struggling and experimenting with (as I'm truly a beginner). I chose the artwork half along the process and wrote the rest of the piece specifically wijth the artwork in mind. You are right that this could not be a standalone piece. Therefore it was meant as a soundtrack and is also tagged that way on Soundcloud. I wouldn't be confident in writing standalone music because I don't think my compositions are good enough for that. Also I really enjoy soundtrack music and love how they can emphasize - if not even carry - a story. 

The drum you are referring to was meant as a kind of heartbeat as the section where it occurs is the rather horrific one. I had "Krampus" in mind sneaking around a forest. However, it could have been more subtle or realized with another instrument in the lower range as you suggested.

Thank you very much again!

Timothy Smith said:

Thanks for sharing!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service