Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

The harmony from 5 to 8 seems a little out. I'm trying to go from D major to A major but the bass seems a little out against the rest of the parts. I don't know why the bass seems out as the chords themselves seem accurate when played solely by the harpsichord. It's only when I break the chord down and distribute the pitches to the other instruments, does it sound out of tune.

I need to make sure all the chords are correct before I continue with this piece. Please be simple in your replies, my theory is not great. Give this piece priority, as measure 5 to 8 is a very important modulating 'device' (if that makes sense) because it can be used in many more concerti, with many variations of it (as Vivaldi did). I need you to correct my chords please, so I can unlock this particular modulation. 

Suggestions welcome

Thank you

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bass line is completely off because you base it on the lowest note of each chord rather than the root of it (that would be A -> D -> B -> E -> C# -> F# etc.)

Greg Brus said:

The bass line is completely off because you base it on the lowest note of each chord rather than the root of it (that would be A -> D -> B -> E -> C# -> F# etc.)

Thanks for your reply. Does it sound better now? Also, I have removed measure 3 and 4, I will keep 1 and 2 but I hear I-V chord progression isn't common in Baroque music, should I go to B minor instead of A major in measure 1 and 2?

Updated files

Attachments:

I will work now on improving measures 1 and 2 

Thank you. My problem is, I know only a little music theory. I know chords and how to construct them, but I'm not familiar with basic chord progressions. I can only imitate what I hear, which doesn't produce the most accurate results. But I have changed direction in my composing, I'm trying to be more accurate than I used to be, which will be difficult until I am more familiar with chord progressions, harmony and all the rules of theory.

I have recently learned how to modulate using a pivot chord. There are a lot of useful websites on theory I read when I have free time. I look for mechanisms in Vivaldi's music, which he uses many times to achieve a particular result, like his modulations, fifth progressions and cadences - if I were in D major, then a cadence would be he succession of notes F# - D - E - C# - D (this is typical of his style). I sometimes use a circle of fifths as a foundation to a piece then build outwards from it. I keep three things in mind now, which I previously didn't. A circle of fifths, cadences, modulation devices. Once I have these structures in place, I can build around them and fabricate music that is sometimes OK to listen to. I just have to keep practising, which is why these are called practice concerti

Alexander Carlisle White said:

Vivaldi, this updated version has easier transitioning on the ears. I like it so far. Look forward to hearing the completed concerto if you post it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service