Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I had this idea for a rising interval motif, and it turned into this.

I would have scored this lower if it weren't for the fact that I needed a piece for SATB quartet.

Comments?

Views: 49

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

*cough*

I like it. Did you play these as live instruments? I thought I heard breaths in between.

Yes, that's all me playing. Soprano / Alto / Tenor / Bass recorder.

I don't have any high-fallutin' philosophies of music, but I kind of have my own notions. Since recorders are an amateur instrument par excellence, there is a lot of faux-baroque and not-very-innovative music out there for use by amateur ensembles. I try to straddle the divide between retrograde and unplayable-modern. Which leads to this sort of pieces. Not quite tonal, but still listenable. I hope.

I am thoroughly impressed. You are quite the flute player. I thought this was very listenable Victor.

I liked it, and the harmonies are a good match to the title, it feels pensive indeed. Nice work.

Actually, the title is a work in progress. Since this piece is a commission, I'm kind of keeping things under wraps there.

Francois Jenno said:

good match to the title, it feels pensive

Not many folks doing this kind of thing, Victor! Very unusual, and enjoyable. I once played a little recorder back in the day, and have always felt an affinity for this venerable instrument. There appeared to be almost microtonal elements in the piece now and then. Did you manipulate the sound post-production, or were you actually playing it that way? there were also some  harmonically dissonant layering's which were pleasing to the ear. A nice and rather unique addition to the forum!

The recording has some EQ'ing and reverb on it. The "stereo spread" plugin from Logic. I wouldn't expect to hear more than phasing effects that you are likely to get with recorders. So, no: nothing microtonal. I try to play in tune :-)

Btw, this uses the traditional SATB recorders, but I have larger instruments, which you can hear in action here:

https://vimeo.com/406094508

michael diemer said:

Did you manipulate the sound post-production, or were you actually playing it that way?

'pensive' indeed.  Easy to perform but not simple.

Well developed complex piece for recorders.

I played soprano recorder for a couple of years in my teenager years.

It is difficult to find  works for recorder with this quality.

Please excuse my ignorance but the Alto recorder seems to sound

one octave low.  The C5 of Alto in bar 4 sounds the same as C4 of

Soprano at bar 4.

I specially liked your manipulation of the phrase/sentence lengths.

4/4 + 7/4 structure at the beginning expands and shrinks in its parts

all through the piece.  There is an undeclared middle section where

a 3/4 sections comes.  And then 4/4 + 7/4 returns back.  The ending

is left half to invoke an incompleteness.

My only reserve, is may be a little bit more repetitions could be more

easily perceptible in sentence lengths rather than complete freshness

all the way.

Wonderful work.  Congratulations.

Ali

Thanks for your comments. You're right about the phrase length. I use that to increase tension, and also to keep the piece fro becoming predictable. The other unifying element is the ascending 7th (or thereabouts) with the quarter-dotted half rhythm. But otherwise, yes, there is not a lot of repetition. I think with this duration of the piece I can get away with not having any really recognizable repeating elements and not it just becoming a mess of notes.

Finally, note that the soprano & bass part are 8va. That's the way recorders are traditionally notated: alto and tenor are written sounding, but soprano/bass are written an octave below sounding. The SATB designation is actually an octave higher than vocal SATB. If you want to play vocal music at the correct pitch, you need a Tenor recorder for the soprano voice, Bass for the alto, Great bass for the tenor, and Contrabass recorder (this is more than 6 ft, 1.80 meters tall) for the bass vocal part.

Ali Riza SARAL said:

Please excuse my ignorance but the Alto recorder seems to sound

one octave low.  The C5 of Alto in bar 4 sounds the same as C4 of

Soprano at bar 4.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service