Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Discuss this awesome sequencing software for PC!

Views: 188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been a Cakewalk user since v.5 and used SONAR 6 up until about 2 months ago. I bought a MacPro, Logic, and DP just to check them out. It took me about a week to do things as fast in Logic as I did in Cakewalk and I was a very proficient SONAR user.

The score editor in Logic (and DP) are light years ahead of SONAR. Also, scoring to picture is not fun to do in SONAR. Things like jogging and shuttling (if you don't have a control surface) is not possible, picture animation while dragging an item around on the timeline (this makes syncing events incredibly simple), when hitting record the picture would run during the countoff so the picture would always be one measure ahead.

Cakewalk as a company is top notch but there are some features that are missing that I need to use on a daily basis.
I used a really early version of Cakewalk about 12 years ago, and recently I bought Sonar Home Studio 6 XL. I'm planning to upgrade to Producer Edition.

As a novice user I've found it pretty easy to use, though there is a handful of annoying bugs/quirks.

It's clearly useless at writing via score, and that's why I have ordered Sibelius :) Some of you will probably now tell me there was a better way, but never mind, I'm committed now! Anyway, I'm sticking with it for now, until I really get more experience in scoring video. If that turns out to be painful I might consider switching. But up to this point, I'm quite pleased with it. I like the Synth Rack, and the effects patching is very intuitive. If I had better audio skills I think I would by now have made something awesome with it. I'm working on that particular skills gap, but not there yet I'm afraid!
Sonar 7? I've got 6- What's new in 7? Should I upgrade? -doug
I'm probably gonna get either Sonar 7 SE or producer , but now my whole plan seems not as good as it did, since the poster who talked about Sonar being difficult to score to picture. Now I dont know..lol. I have some time to think about it though as I dont have the $, just having bought a new computer. I have enjoyed using HS 2004 XL though, it was my first experience in DAW , and I am used to the cakewalk interface..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service